Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2010 will not automatically activate with KMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpetree10

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2007
US
Hi All, I have about 35 clients running Office 2010 and have a Server 2008 R2 box running as the KMS server. I have created an installer package using customization tool telling it to activate via KMS. However all of the clients are telling me they can't activate. If I go and run ospp.vbs, set the KMS host and force it to activate all is well but it would be great if the clients would automatically discover the KMS server and activate themselves. Anyone have an idea on what I need to do? Thanks in advance!

The auto-finding of the KMS server is done through Active Directory. I can't remember off the top of my head what the entry should be but a quick google should bring it up. If you have more than one KMS server you also have to manually enter that into AD.

Can't say I've done this with 2008, but setting KMS up on server 03 was an absolute pain! Good luck :)

I figured it out, our DNS record (_VLMCS) was set to a server other than the proper KMS server, I changed it to the correct server and all of the clients self activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back