Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2007 products close when you open the "Save" menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILW

MIS
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Hi all. Running Office 2007 SP3 on Windows Vista SP2. In the last few days we've stopped being able to save. Any time you open the Save dialogue and wait (without choosing anything) the application just closes. This happens in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, InfoPath, Publisher.

Event log shows:
Faulting application MSPUB.EXE, version 12.0.6652.5000, time stamp 0x4e7a5662, faulting module gdiplus.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f2bf90a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x737274b2, process id 0xf58, application start time 0x01cdd0d40e525cd8.

The "gdiplus.dll" is common whichever app crashed,as is the exception code.

SP3 and about 2 dozen other updates installed on 15th November - not sure if that was when the problem started, but seems a likely cause. Do I risk damaging the whole install by removing SP3, or can anyone suggest alternative fixes? Thanks in advance!

Ian

Try running the Microsoft Office Diagnostics. You can run it from any Office 2007 product. To run it from Word 2007 click on the Office Orb, select Word Options, click on Resources, and it is the second item in the list. Click on Diagnose and follow the prompts.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Hmmm - didn't know about those. Gives a message "Diagnostics were disabled by your system administrator". Which is odd because that's me. This isn't part of a domain or even a workgroup. I tried a Repair of Office too, but that fails with "An unexpected error has occured." (mis-spelt as in the error message!)

Thanks Frederico - the diagnostics part did the job. The Word part unfortunately not. It's not only Word which is affected (the link specifically refers to it) but seemingly all Office products. I'm going to fetch SP3 again, and see if that makes a difference.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Sorry, should have said that the Office Diagnostics didn't find any problems. I've also run a full Malwarebytes scan.

Ian

Tried removing SP3 - no change. Any more ideas guys?

Any more ideas folks? I've even gone as far as uninstalling Office, running Malwarebytes / CCleaner / a couple of other utilities, and then reinstalled & repatched up to date. Still the same. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back