Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2007 configuring every time opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2008
US
I've been trying to fix the problem with one of our users whose Office 2007 configures and then locks up the PC every time she tries to open it.

The local admin does not have this problem, but we make all users Power users.

Also, there is a message in the app. log: Event ID 63 WinMgmt: A provider, OffProv12, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS12, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

I have reinstalled Office, ran updates, recreated her profile, and nothing works.

Any ideas? When researching the event ID, it talks about namespace security in WMI control, but I have no experience in this area. Thank you for any suggestions.

OK, on the problem PC, when I go to wmimgmt.msc, under root security I found out that "Everyone" has execute methods, provider write, and enable account permissions. But when I check every other subcategory (except RSOP) under Root, "Everyone" only has execute methods and enable account.

But when I compared it to 2 other PC's, they both had all of the subcategories as "Everyone" having execute methods, provider write, and enable account.

Is it OK to go through each subcategory under root and check the provider write box for "Everyone"? Or is there a better way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back