Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2003 long pauses when trying to change folders to access files on local drive. Windows 7 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidno99

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2010
I have a new HP Envy Scepter with a solid state drive. Love it!!! It is installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have no problem accessing files when using paint, notepad etc. but when I launch any Office 2003 application and go to open a file (local) there is a pause of approximately 8 seconds every time I try to move to a folder or different drive.

If I were to click a second time when it pauses it says "Not Responding".

If you wait it then allows you to go to the next step and again when you click on the next folder the same thing happens, all the way to the file. Once you get to the file, it loads instantly.

This happens for ALL Office Apps when trying to access/change to a different directory. Save/Save as in the existing directory happens instantly.

These are plain old simple files, no macros no calls, nothing unusual and work fine on my desktop PCs....seems to be limited to my new laptop.

Any ideas???

Something similar happened to me a long time ago, and the cause was a mapped drive that was disconnected / not working properly. I disconnected that drive map and it sped up again. This was with XP though, so not sure it's the same problem you are having.

Are the files you are opening created by Office 2003, or are they created by later Office Applications?

"Users of the Microsoft Office XP and 2003 programs Word, Excel, or PowerPoint—please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack.

By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007. The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats. For more information about the Compatibility Pack, see Knowledge Base article 924074."

How to open and save Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007 files in earlier versions of Office programs

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

What is it like from Office Safe Mode, Windows Safe Mode, or in a Clean Boot?

Work with Office safe modes

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking/ Check. It will immediately tell you if there are problems with your drive. If it says there are errors then run the scan and let chkdsk fix them.

Hi, been travelling and just got back to office.

As soon as I connected to network accessing the files is no problem at all.

Therefore this obviously has something to do with the Mapped drives.

This makes no sense. Had no issues ever before with map drives.

Just to clarify....when I travel, I take a copy of the files or directories I need and put it in a new directory on my laptop....so there is NO linkage to the mapped drives.

However when I boot, the laptop is obviously no able to restore the MAPPED drives because I am not attached.

But what the he^^ does that have to do with the fact that the files are copies and NOTHING to do with original location????????

As I said, this ONLY happens to OFFICE 2003 files. In other words if I were to use Explore I can cruise through these directories instantly. If I try to open a file with Paint, or any other app....INSTANT!!! IT is ONLY OFFICE FILES!!!!

Ideas???

An Office program is slow or may appear to stop responding (hang) when you open a file from a network location

Have you tried the Office Forums for any insight into the problem?

You could also look to the MS Office forum for expert help.

Microsoft: Office

You could try the "Detect and Repair" option in Help.

Guys.....it is not a network problem.

When I am connected to my network, the drives are mapped and the folders are instantly navigable. You can click through them as fast as you can tap on the mouse button.

The slow response comes ONLY when I am not connected to the network.

Furthermore it affects ALL folders ie. C: D: in other words ALL local folders!!!!

This has to be related somehow to the MAP drives. Before I MAPPED those drives the laptop had no issues accessing folders.

Thanks

Just to add....again....this is ONLY WITH OFFICE 2003 programs....NO other program has issues accessing folders.

The slow response comes ONLY when I am not connected to the network.
But this is a symptom of the PC "looking" for a UNC path when it has been disconnected. But as you said multiple times - it only happens with Office documents, so that kind of throws that theory off.

Beats me. I would do a repair install of Office and then a total removal and reinstall.

While you're connected to the network open one of the problem Word documents then go to Tools -> Templates and Add-ins. It'll show you the template the document is based on. Word will try to load this whenever you open the document, so if it's a template file located on the network and you're disconnected it will cause a delay while Word tries to look for it.

Nelviticus

^^^^ That suggestion sounds very promising and stays with my theme of "Office waiting to check/open a network resource that is no longer available".

Nope, just using a local standard template.

Remember....this is happening with ALL Office products....even OUTLOOK when I want to attach a file to email it to someone.

ALL office products file actions are affected.

If it were not for me needing to retrieve, save or open a file in ANY of the Office 2003 products, I would never know there was a problem.

I am a NO BELLS, NO WHISTLES user.

I'm installing a new exact same laptop today, and I will install Office 2003 on that one too and will see if this problem repeats itself and report back.

Going to also start "playing" with directory settings to see if that makes any difference.

The only way to really rule out mapped drives would be to unmap (while disconnected from network) all mapped drives and then see if the problem persist.

Even though the OP doesn't want to believe it's possibly network-related, try what jkl0 said just to humor us.

If you don't want to do that OR the next step would be to totally remove Office and clean out the registry and temp files, reboot and then reinstall Office.

And let me ask a question here: Was Office originally installed from a network drive or from a CD in the computer's optical drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back