Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2003 and Deep Freeze problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

crycris

MIS
Mar 21, 2005
US
I need to find a way to get voice recognition to be able to save a profile on the thawed drive in Deep Freeze. I have used the save settings wizard and it does not save the profile. Has anyone had this probelm?

Would you explain that again please? What voice recognition and what profile? What does a deep freeze have to do with it? I usually thaw using the microwave: have you tried that?

Regards: tf1

Office 2003 has voice recognition built in. We are an educational institution and we used DeepFreeze to (Freeze)protect the hard drives. Students can go and make any changes they want but when the computer is rebooted everything is set to our defaults. For voice recognition our students have to create a profile and let the software learn their voice so they can go back each class and work on their own profiles. With DeepFreeze you can have a part of the hard drive unprotected (Thawed) so that you can save data and it still be there when you reboot. I am trying to find a way to be able to save voice profiles without having to leave the machine unprotected.

Now I understand. I know that it is necessary to lock down PCs for students otherwise students can perform wonderful tricks for the next users!

I'm not familiar with DeepFreeze but have academic customers who use Windows policies to lock the desktop. Providing you have Windows 2003 server and Windows XP desktops, it should be possible to lock down the desktops using policies but allow the saving of the speech profile.

Regards: tf1

We have already tried that option and some of the software that is used requires administrative rights. So that eventhough we have it locked down they still end up getting viruses and spyware. It is a nightmare. We are a college and we have very computer litereate people here and the best for us is DeepFreeze.

I hate having to assign all XP Users as administrators most of the time.. I hope in Vista Microsoft changes it so that the other accounts aren't so locked down.. or maybe make it so you can customise what rights a user group has(That would be Preferred, but i doubt it will happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back