Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2000 / XP compatibility 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelR

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
GB
Hi, I've just installed office 2000 on my XP (home) setup but each application immediately closes after briefly flashing on the screen. I've search MS knowledgebase which lists an article regarding compatibility wizard .. tried every option on this but still the same. Any ideas? (apart from shelling out for Office XP!)
Thanks.

Must be another problem, I'm running Office 2000 SP 1 on Windows XP without anything like you describe.

I haven't found anything yet that wouldn't run on XP except for software that does things with the parallel port (but doesn't have a Win XP version yet) and some software for "unsupported" hardware where I have shoehorned Win 2000 drivers into XP.

did you install office without entering the password? i've head it can be done but it won't work until it get it.

also if you use a hacked copy and install sp1 it should do just that.

i'm also runing Office 2000 SP 1 on Windows XP

I've got a "friend" *cough* who had an illegal copied version of Office 2000. He installed it initially, and it ran fine. However, when my "friend" upgraded it with the service pack, it exhibitted the same exact symptoms. The application would open fine, the application would display for 1/2 of a second, and then close.. no error, no beep, no nothing. I had to .. er, my "friend" had to uninstall the program, and re-install, minus the service pack. Worked fine after that, but my suspicion is that it was a copy-protection scheme build into SP-1 that caused it to do this.

I realize you are having the same symptoms under different circumstances, but maybe in your case, it's also a copy-protection problem? Just a guess...

Thanks for replies... I noted the SP1 comments and realised my version was a fairly early copy of Office 2000 Premium. I uninstalled completely, installed Office 2000 SP1 and it worked fine.

I have heard of the same problem as xyrx described when installing a hacked copy office 2000 Premium. The application just closes down on opening. I know that the same problem did not occur when a hacked copy of Office 2000 SP1 was sourced and loaded. Could Premium have a built in copy-protection "utility"?

Have the same problem, but no solution. Installed Office 2000 professional SP-1, and same sympton - open, close within 0.5 sec.. Upgraded to SP-2 - same problem. However, wehn opening for instance word with the /a switch - it opens, asks for user name and stays open. I can use the office assistant and search for different topics, but the funiest part is - when exiting office assitant, word closes within 0.5 secs.. //Gazzten
PS - I have installed a version with a valid key

Just found one possible explanation at MicroSoft pages...
See below

Locate your valid product CD Key, which is located on the back of the original CD case.

OFF2000: Program Quits Immediately After Starting When SR-1/SR-1a Update Is Applied (Q255503)

"If the product CD Key begins with GC6J3, the Product Key is not valid in Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a. Contact the reseller of your Office product to obtain a valid product CD key, or purchase a valid Microsoft Office 2000 product. After you obtain a valid product CD key, continue with the following steps.

For more information about purchasing Microsoft Office, browse to the following Microsoft Web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back