Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2000 - Word program delays 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

exumaman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2004
US
Upon opening word, I experience delays of up to 5-10 seconds before the cursor will even start blinking & I can start typing. Almost seems as if drivers or files are delayed in opening to enable the program to be fully operational. This also happens when trying to shut down Word.
Once the program has been running for a bit, the problem does not seem as prevalent.
Any ideas on how to fix this? (excell works fine)

Any chance Word is calling your VirusScanner for a document scan upon opening?

Don't think so, have the free version of AVG 6.0 - Don't think that is it, besides, this happens when I first open the program, not opening a document.

Try this:

1. Close Word

2. Rename normal.dot to normal.old

3. Reopen Word

If this fixes the problem then normal.dot was corrupt. (When you did #3 above, Word created a new normal.dot.) If you had macros or styles stored in the old normal.dot, you can now copy them from normal.old into normal.dot using the Organizer. (You should try to store customizations and macros in other templates.)

How do I find normal.dot?
Did a search in the C Drive, no results

exumaman try a search just using Normal and look for 'Microsoft Word Template' in the description/file type.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back