Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2000 Premium uninstall problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmartin007

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
A previous installation of Office 2000 'Premium' was loaded to the company PCs before my time. Now I need to install Office 2000 Professional (& SP2) but before I can do so I must uninstall Office 2000 'Premium'.

Here's the catch; the Office Premium CD is nowhere to be found. Is there a way around this?

I have tried installing Office 2000 Pro to another location but when I try to install Office SP2 it says 'Insert Office 2000 Premium'. How do I get rid of this 'Premium' installation or at least the references to it????????/

Have you tried removing it through 'Add/Remove Programs'??
((Start> Settings> Control Panel> 'Add/Remove Programs'))
If so does it ask you for the CD then?? If it does and it lets
you browse, try pointing to the directory where Premium is
installed and where all the program files are. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Hi Jay

Yes I tried all the usual steps, Add/Remove etc. When it prompts for the Office Premium disk I navigated to the Premium installation location on the hard disk but no luck. It asks for the file 'Disk1.msi' on the Premium CD (also searched the HDD but no joy).

I had a similar problem, it would give me an internal error every time i tried to load a sp (office sr2, win2k sp2 etc)
Eventually I just copied my stuff to a network share, formatted, and reinstalled win2k. Its much faster now and it worked.
Once you get the cd I'd recommend copying it to your hard drive or a server and sharing it out, then put the cd in a binder and lock it up, losing cds is bad, especially originals.

Formatting the PC is not an option I'm afraid so I'll need to keep searching for a solution... Ó¿Õ¬

somebody's watching me...

I downloaded & ran the utility; MSICUU.MSI from Microsoft's site which is supposed to clean the registry keys relating to the Premium installation thus allowing the Professional install/ugrade to SP2. But it does'nt work!

Any more ideas??? Ó¿Õ¬

somebody's watching me...

I am having a similar issue... had a user install Premium over a Pro installation, now her built in toolbars are effectively removed from Word (gone - kaput - no longer on system).

In order to effectively uninstall without the cd, you can remove the registry keys dealing with office... Not the best advice, but an option nonetheless.

This worked to remove the information for Premium allowing me to reinstall the Pro, but it did not restore tht toolbars...

The best way is to delete the entire path where the previous office is located. Then fix up the registries by using system suite 2000. You can sure install any office version you want. This system suite software is available in the market.. it doesn't cost much. No idea if its available on the web.

Try your luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back