Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office 2000 Dropdowns are SLOW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoMax

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
In this particular installation of Office 2k on Windows 2k, all of the applications (Word, Excel, Access, etc etc have this irritating quirk: the dropdowns just creep down agonizingly slow. It is almost unusable without great patience. Has anyone experienced this?
PS It would not surprise me if somebody in the area with a little VB knowledge has messed with the machine, but there is no evidence of that.

[medal] Thank you Ann! The option was set to "random". I changed to none and the problem is gone! Apparently you can make this change in any Office program and it affects them all, because Excel and the others are also now OK.

If anyone wants to continue this thread just for discussion's sake, maybe they could explain how to control or fine tune these dropdown menu animations ... or if they are tweakable at all! I have a fast computer and can't believe that they have to run so s.l.o.w.

Thanks again Anne, I won't have to shoot my PC now.

Max Booth

2 continue the discussion

besides what Dreamboat suggested

- Hkey_current_user/Control Panel/Desktop/MenuShowDelay should be set to 400 or lower (even as low as 20; some people like to set it to zero)

if menu drop downs are slow
- good idea to get updated video driver
- good idea to defrag the system
and
-set the acceleration of video card couple of notches down from max (high acceleration may cause the video card to iterate (?is that the word for it?) more times and as a result slow down the system

might not be a bad to idea to set the animation back on and try some of these to see what they do

[flip] onedetent,
Sorry, I've been off or busy for a few days. Anyway today I tried a couple of your suggestions, with positive results!

I made the registry change, from 400 to 20, with no perceptible change; the dropdown animation still unusably slow. Since I know the disk is reasonably defragged and I have recent drivers from Dell (NVidea RIVA TNT2 Model 64), I turned down the hardware acceleration one notch from full. Voila, it totally fixed the slowness. So I left it there and Hopefully that will be the end of other potential problems this board might have trying to use full accel. Thank you ondetent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back