Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offer Remote Assistance, possible when not part of the domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
US
I understand that an "expert" can initiate a remote assistance session, assuming that -gpedit, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Remote Assistance, Offer Remote Assistance" option is enabled.

I tested it out, and when i'm on a PC logged in to the domain, I am able to initiate a remote assistance session. However, what I want to do is be able to do this from a stand alone PC connected to the domain via VPN. Of course, the PC would NOT be joined to the domain. Is this possible? My impression is that the PC has to be part of the domain in order to do this. It seems logical to be able to do this as you can if the session is initiated via messenger or email. WinVNC is looking more like a viable solution. Ideas?

Enable remote management, then connect via it's IP address.

If the routing over the VPN is all good, that should be all you need (as well as local admin credentials on the remote machine).

Jeff W.
MCSE, CNE

I should have added, that is to remote admin an XP Pro box. Home is a bit more finicky and *may* require the user to initiate a remote request via email or msn messenger.

I don't usually work with home edition, so I'm not fully sure on it's requirements for remote administration, except to say that it requires a little more finess than a Pro station.

Jeff W.
MCSE, CNE

I've been unable to do that though. I can ping the destination PC's, can even remote desktop to them, but when trying to initiate remote assistance, get "access denied"

I know that when editing the group policy options that I noted in my first post, you have to specify who the approved helpers are that can initiate a session, and you have to specify by
<Domain Name>\User Name> or
<Domain Name>\Group Name>

Well if my PC is not part of a domain, couldn't this present an issue?

Let's clarify a few things for my benefit. :)

Is this an XP Pro box?

Which direction are you going with this? From a main/corporate network server/pc on the main network across teh VPN to a standalone XP Pro box?

Next, how far you getting with remote desktop, are you connecting but getting denied trying to login, or is it simply not connecting at all (no login screen to be had)?

You keep saying 'initiate a session', which is a bit misleading for me because when you say that I think of a home user requesting a remote assistance session via email or MSN Messenger.

Jeff W.
MCSE, CNE

OK, to clarify...
I am on an XP Pro machine, connected via VPN to my remote domain. On the domain, there is a Windows 2003 Server and several XP Pro machines. I want to offer remote assistance from my XP machine to PC's on the domain. I know I can connect to them if they initiate the session via messenger or email, but I want to intiate the session AND by the expert. I can initiate the session being the expert between 2 PC's on the domain, just can't do it from my stand alone XP pro machine

Somewhat related question, is there a way to make the max expiration for a remote assistance ticket longer that 99 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back