Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Off Topic, But This is the Closest Forum, CD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodown

Programmer
Apr 30, 2002
AU
hi

i have a CD that i am trying to get some files off of, and whenever it is getting them off i get a Cyclic Redunancy Error about half way through, is there anything i can do to be able to get these files?

thanks

matthew

no, just straight from the cdrom drive, i also tried it from my burner drive, and it wouldn't work, the cd doesn't have any scratches, but it has this spot on it that is like the size of a pinhead, that is a different colour, but other than that the disk is perfect

If the spot is on a data area it is probably causing
your problem. You could try copying a group of files at a time. Try touching an ink marker to the top side of the spot. It won't allow you to copy data from the damaged area
but it might skip over it. It has worked for me in a pinch.

thanks for your help i tried what you said but it didn't work, it looks like someone has hit the disk in that spot with something, thanks again

If you use one of the CD repair kits it could fix it. I am referring to the round case ones that you turn and they lightly sand the surface of the cd so that the tiny scratch wont catch the lens. it may skip over the scratch. I had a deep gash in a playstation game that was stopping it from running, and i used the scratch remover and it works just fine now. I found mine at walmart for $6.

Try using a metal cleaner, like Braso for copper or some cleaner that shines metals. It will roughen the CD up a bit, but remember when cleaning to do it in a circular manner. This should allow you to read the disc in the ROM.
PRINCIPLE:
The abrasiveness of the cleaner will fill in the hole that you have, allowing the hole to be no more of a pit, that is, it will restore it to normal. Thus, the CD will be able to be read by the CD_ROM.

I have tried this, even for scratched CD's, and works fine.

However, I am not responsible if it does not work for you.

Please let me know if this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back