Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Off-Line archiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

2know

MIS
Nov 27, 2001
US
With MS Exchange you can create a .pst file of archived email and burn it to a CD when that file becomes too large.
Is there a way to move archived GroupWise mail to a CD and still be able to access it at a later time?

The server I am administering now had Groupwise installed on the SYS Volume and with no prior mail administration, the SYS Volume is filling up! I am going to implement archiving (local vs global, any suggestions?) and that will move the mail to another Volume but is there a way to get that mail off-line to a CD?

You can archive to the local C drive and burn from there, or copy the data from the archive volume and burn it to CD. For ease of use, you will not be able to lock the archive function in the GroupWise client. Your users will need to be able to change this when they want to access an archive burned onto CD. Also, as much of a pain as it my seem to be, you can not open someone elses archive with out editing the FID in the archive. This is for security, can't have Joe Shmoe opening the CXO's archive to see confidential data.

Also, you can move the mail directories to a new volume, and the reconfiguration of the system is basic and easy to do. I would recomend going this way, allowing your users access to the SYS volume is a mistake that should be corrected. Users should only have read access to just the public and login directories on a SYS volume. Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

All of your information is good news. I'm going to do some research on my own but I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction on how to move the mail directories to a different volume?

To: ProvoGeek

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to access an archive from a CD. It would have to be copied to a hard drive or network drive from the CD. I think this is because you cannot write to a CD drive on the fly.

Has that changed?

I think you are right. Plus dont you still need write rights when accessing the Archives when you view them. I think we ran into a problem where the user could not open their archives because they had lost their write rights - right?

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to move the mail directories to a different volume and how the reconfiguration of the system is done?

This should give you the basic idea: TID10008433. Then read this as well: TID10014112.

HTH
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back