Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE6 Email rules to block a domain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymstock

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2000
GB
I want to use the Rules in OE6 to prevent myself from receiving spam for my domain. At present I receive (anythingatall)@mydomain.org and would like to delete messages where (anythingatall) is not on a list of permitted addressees. Is it possible to specify a domain rather than an address in the Rules?

This bit works...
"Where the To line contains people"
(acceptablenames)@mydomain.org
...move to specified folder

But will this actually work as the NEXT rule...
"Where the To line contains people"
mydomain.org
...delete from server
(ie: does this cover all other addresses for mydomain ?)

Yes, that will work. OE's rule criteria work on the wildcard principal. There's more info about using wildcards with rules in some of these threads:

Thread605-603289
Thread605-588858
Thread605-554303
Thread605-535781
Thread605-536076
Thread605-622815

Thanks,
I've done my best to ensure the advice on those threads is adhered to. I'm still getting a problem, though. A local school changed their domain to something similar to my own, and now I'm relentlessly bombarded with incorrectly-addressed schoolchild chatter plus the spam from some of their careless signups. You can probably imagine the weight of junk this is generating for me (over 100 messages a day).
I have a catchall mailbox for my domain, and therefore can receive anythingatall@mydomain.org.uk
I have two rules that I thought should cover the spam problem...

First rule:-
Where the TO line contains me@mydomain.org.uk or tom@mydomain.org.uk or harry@mydomain.org.uk move it to the "Mydomain" folder and Stop processing more rules

Second rule:-
Where the TO line contains mydomain.org.uk delete it from server

I thought this would allow through the emails to specific addressees and wipe out the others. Unfortunately this does not have the desired effect, and mail addressed to child1@mydomain.org.uk ; child2@mydomain.org.uk ; teacher3@mydomain.org.uk etc keeps coming through to my inbox.

Yes, there are other rules later in the list. I have tried putting the second rule (noted above) at the end of the list of rules, and as the second item in the list of rules. Neither manages to kick this junk into touch.

The rules in your post certainly sound like they should work in the order that you have them. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to help find the problem:

In your first rule, you could add 'highlight with color' to make sure that the rule catches the messages correctly. If the messages change color, you know that rule is working as you expect (no minor typo differences etc.)

You could also modify the first rule as:
Where the TO line contains me@ or tom@ or harry@ move it to the "Mydomain" folder and Stop processing more rules. This should still catch the messages that you want, but with a small possibility of catching a few that you don't want (ones that still meet this criteria).

For the second rule, create a folder named 'junk' or whatever. Change the rule to move messages to that folder. You could also use some color highlighting here. You could also try some variations of your criteria - instead of mydomain.org.uk, you could use @mydomain.

Hopefully some of this will help.

smah,
Thanks for your time and suggestions... I've got it sorted now (I think)! Had to go back to square one and take it one step at a time, but it looks like I got there in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back