Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE6 and Exchange2000 unable to send SMTP Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

staaby

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
US
I am currently getting the following error when sending an email through outlook express 6:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'XXX@hotmail.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.firetimes.com', Server: 'mail.firetimes.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for lunchbox37@hotmail.com', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

On our email server we host 3 email domains and this was working until today. Open relays have been closed on the server but access has been granted for the remote client as well as the firetimes.com domain. I have started and stopped the exchange services and deleted and recreated the mail account in OE. This happens not only remotely but locally as well. I really have ran out of ideas on things to try. Anyone have anything or have seen this?

Well...the error 5.7.1 means:

1- The sender does not have the privileges necessary
2- You are trying to relay via another SMTP server that doesn't permit relay
3- the recipient mailbox has delivery restrictions that wouldn't permit an email from the sender

How have you shut down relay? Do you allow anyone that authenticates to relay or have you restricted by domain? It just seems like that's the place to start.

wattsupwyo

I finally found out what was going on. The remote user has a cable modem and, while the ip doesnt normally change, it did in this case. Thought i was going insane.

Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back