Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE error messages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawz

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
GB
hello folk, glum Gracie here. I recently transferred a friends OE address book and e-mails to another machine,after upgrading to ME, and everything appeared to be working ok when it left here, though I couldn't actually log in to his e-mail as I did not then know his password. I could get on the web and surf without any problems however and the modem was connecting to the Freeserve server, so I was happy.

Since he has had it back, OE keeps crashing.

I have it back here now and yes, it keeps crashing to a Blue screen.
There are a couple of error messages, and 0028 features in them both.
The first is simply that there is an error OE: 0028:F086359
- I expect the latter address (?) might be different on each occasion, but 0028 is consistent.

The second BS message is 'An exception OE has occurred at 0028: E937E800 in VXD ---, ....called from 0028: C0012E24 in VXD ---. that latter address also changes

My attempts to solve this so far have been that

1. I swapped the memory. That seemed to improve things at first but then the message came back.

2. I disabled all the static VXD's that looked to be to do with Norton's AV ( 2003)and I unticked the startups for NAV.
I had already put NAV 2003 on that system to check it out, so I advised him to keep that rather than to try and revert to his older NAV, as he has kept his subscriptions up to date, because he would need to uninstall NAV03 completely to be sure the reinstall of his own software would be successful, and I doubt he would find all the necessary files].

When I rebooted I got on the e-mail, it seemed to function ok, I got on the net, did a bit of surfing - fine, went back to e-mail to send myself a message, and OE then stopped responding. Hmph.

It would help me if I knew where to look for this problem VXD, but if the error message doesn't identify it,except by ---, how am I to find it?

The other possible vxd could be the Auriel Vortex (?) sound card it seems, but this has always been on that machine when the previous owner had it, with OE, so I don't see that as the likely culprit.

Any ideas please?

grateful, Gracie

sorry there is a typo there, the error messages are 0E, etc not 'OE'...

Hi Gracie,

Dare I say it? But why did you upgrade to Windows ME?

Other than that confirm you've all relevant Windows Updates installed and you have all the latest drivers installed. If that doesn't work you could alway try another email package, I would suggest Mozilla's Thunderbird as it will happily import your old OE emails.

Regards,

hello Gavin, I upgraded to ME on that machine to see if I could get round a bus master problem to do with Win 98 upgrade and Intel 440LX boards.

The 0E messages were windows exceptions rather than Outlook Express of course, and, I learned, that particular 0028 address is nearly always to do with hardware, so with that in mind I eventually swapped the internal modem ( Intel chip) for an external, and had no more problems. I should have come back on here to say what I had done I spose but as I had not had any offers of help, figured it wouldn't matter...

thank you for your help Gavin

:)

Hi Gracie,

No problems at all, good to know you got it sorted. Glad to see someone else out there working on 'older' systems. I have one customer who's DX2-66 486 8Mb 40Mb HDD 5.25" FDD system for a vinyl cutter has just died. And last week I put a P200MMX Windows 95a system on to broadband, Firefox runs a treat.

While I've been a member of Tek Tips for a long time I've never posted before this week, I'm trying to make a point of answering at least one unanswered post a day.

Regards,

Hi Gavin, my little business is helping non-commercial customers - people who have a home computer and get stuck when something goes wrong - so that gets me quite a few old machines to play with.
I used to do it for nothing just for the pleasure of being able to help, but now I charge a modest fee to eke out the pennies. I would truly be up a creek without a paddle if it wasn't for sites like Tek-Tips and Poasters though.
Glad you answered my post - I expect we will meet again before too long!

Gracie :)

From what i know blue screens usually happen because of 2 reasons:

1 Bad, failing or incompatible hardware
2 Hardware drivers installed that conflict.

yes adrian - this fell under incompatible hardware I think.
I wonder what other folk think of the 56k modems with an Intel chipset.
I have two of them and both cause me more aggravation than any other internal modem I have put in. That is why I still have them; every customer machine I put them in spits them out for one reason or another - with one exception, and that was an XP machine. It worked perfectly and I was pleased to have found a home for it at last, but then the customer phoned and said he felt he ought to go back to Windows 98 as the XP had been put on when his son had the machine at Uni. So I put Win 98 on and the modem refused to work with it. Hmph

Hi Gracie,

I've used quiet a few Intel chipset modems both on XP and 98 systems with no problems that spring to mind. If the driver is giving you problems it may be a idea to try the generic drivers on the Intel website:

Look under 'Networking and Communications'.

In the past, i.e. when Win98 was newly out the easiet remedy to get a modem working on a machine was to use an external device, yet to have one that won't work.

Hi Gavin, ah, I never thought of that, yes. I am about to put one of these in a Windows ME machine today, if it doesn't work then yes, I will go to the Intel site and get a generic driver, good idea, thanks.

Part of the problem (sometimes)I found is that if I
tried to re-install the software it no longer thinks it has to load any driver files. Is that a registry thing, enumerator perhaps, or the old driver files need flushing out of the system folder? I do not know quite how to deal with that.

As you say, externals are so reliable, and that has been my solution on several occasions

thanks, appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back