Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE 5.0 and IE Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuJuBean

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
This is a minor annoyance that I have been unable to resolve so thought one of you great brains out there might be able to help. The problem described below has only recently started occuring. I have not changed my system config in any way.

Problem: With OE open, I click on a URL that is embedded in a message. The web page that is opened, opens minimized. This requires another click to actually view the web page.

Is there any way to make the requested web page open in normal view?

Thx,

I've had a user who had a similiar issue. This person had a pop-up ad killer program running in the background, which MIGHT be the cause. Even if it's not the cause, you might try to re-register outlook express, by typing at the Start, Run box:

msimn /reg

Restart after this, and then try again. If that doesn't work, you might try manually resizing those windows to full screen (don't hit the maximize button on the top-right of the window.. just drag each corner to the coresponding corner of the screen), and then close it. Then re-click on the link again.

I tried the suggestion by xyrx and it didn't help. However, I have found the solution and thought others might benefit from it. The solution is that you must allow programs to take the focus when modified. You can do this easily with TweakUI. Or you can edit the registry as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Purpose: application window grabbing focus (Win2000 only, possibly WinME).
When a window that doesn't have the focus (in the background) is updated by its program, Win2K by default prevents it from becoming the topmost window. Instead it flashes the taskbar button. This is governed by these DWORD [REG_DWORD] Values:

ForegroundLockTimeout :
Value 200000 [Decimal]: background window not allowed to grab the focus (default behaviour).
Value 0 [Decimal or DWORD]: allows the background window to grab the focus (become topmost/foreground).

ForegroundFlashCount :
Value 0 [Decimal or DWORD]: taskbar flashes until clicked.
Value x [Decimal]: taskbar flashes x times (default is 3)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back