Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oddly behaving mouse in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronvvright

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
CA
I've updated all my drivers for my mouse (MS Intelimouse Explorer USB) but when I do things like open windows and minimize them, the mouse will sort of hang wherever I clicked until the task is finished. I think it may have something to do with my computer lagging a bit when windows does it's "animate windows" thing (since my windows don't just snap open, the kind of resize to the max size etc.) but I'm not clear on how to disable that "feature".

Thanks for any help on this :)

Aaron,

I have found that untill I got up to a 900 MHz that the animated menus needed to be disabled.

Go to right click desktop Display properties ... Effects ... and in the top of the list you will find that setting.

It is also slowed by your virus scanner, so keep that in mind.

Terry

Actually, I'm running an AMD Athlon 900Mhz with 256 RAM so it should be running nice. I have a GeForce 2 32MB if that makes a difference... Also, my virus scanner is disabled, last I checked... Oh well. I disabled the effects and all is good, but when I go to certain sites with fancy javascripts my mouse will lag either a bit or like crazy.

Aaron,

Same here! That Fancy java does that to mine as well. Never like crazy though. We have the exact same chip sets and MEM count. I only have a Mellinium 8M so there is nothing to the Video card I think.

The java is active and so is Flash and there are some of those that drive me nutz scrolling a page online. I think that is because I set my mouse to scroll in Office settings.

I think it is a ' hierarchy ' thing in W2K all along so I just deal with it.

Terry

Yeah, fancy flash does it too. It never did it before, which is what makes me wonder... I want to format my computer again soon and see how that works out.

For the sake of comparision, I'm running W2K Pro on a 733 and a "measly" 128 RAM, latest 2K IntelliPoint drivers (4.0.0.657)and McAfee AV. I have none of the mouse lag or menu effect lag you've described.
I have historically had problems with USB mice, thou. Did you just start getting this or has it always been around?

I just started getting it, and I DO have a USB mouse with the option of using the serial port... I think I'll try switchin' them around :D Here's hopin' things go well...

Ok, I just discovered that it's Internet Explorer that does the lagging. When mousing-over the buttons at in IE, my mouse jerks and my CPU usage climbs. However, when viewing the same page in Mozilla (Netscape 6 pretty much) there's no lag or jerking.

So, I've narrowed it down to this (just an educated guess):

It lags with flash content on the page but only in IE. Hehe.

There may be other things making it lag because this doesn't explain the lag on some JS menus unless there's flash somewhere I haven't noticed... But flash does definately lag it, so I'll be looking for a way to uninstall the flash player and hopefully a reinstall with fix that...

I've narrowed the flash lag down to one file: DllHost.exe. When I close it, I don't get any lag from flash plugins on sites. I just can't seem to make it so it doesn't start up with IE... I deleted the file but it comes back when I start IE :(

Any ideas?

Look in your BIOS information. If your PC is set to use write-through cache, this can happen. Change cache method to write-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back