Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

odd windows crashes involving hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNuke

Technical User
Mar 5, 2004
US
I have Windows XP Pro, and lately I have been having blue screen of death errors with several different messages. The first, and most common, is something like KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR with ftdisk.sys. The second is no all uppercase message referring to atapi.sys. The third is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO (something like that). I am suspecting hd failure, but I been getting simular messages on another hd, and my current hd is very new. On my cd-rw, I have been getting somewhat consitent errors where the cd-rw will sudently stop reading at a certain point, and will not continue ontil the system is rebooted. I also use grub (Linux bootloader), which sometimes will not reconized, sometimes starts to load and stops, and somethings starts XP but the Windows XP loading screen never appears. All of the Win crash messages come at completely random times, even if the computer is not doing anything. I'm thinking motherboard IDE failure. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
SirNuke

The most common problem that I've seen with those 3 types of errors is usually a faulty driver. As you are having problems with the CD-ROM, I would suspect faulty IDE drivers. If you have an nforce chipset, the nVidia IDE drivers are known to have issues with optical devices. You may want to check that out.

D

After reading your message again, I realized you have symptoms while using grub - you may want to check your IDE cables to see if they are loose or possibly replace them with a different set for testing before assuming the onboard IDE. That's the only other thing in common with the two drives you tested.

D

I however, just thought of something that I didn't mention. I recently tried to install a Linux distro named core-distro, but it was having issues with cd-rom timeout, but this could just be with the distro...

just had the 0x000000077 (kernel_stack_inpage_error) come up on a pc at work last week. next reboot the hard drive was not detected and was ticking and spinning up and down.

I'd back up any data you have on there.

I am suspecting the CD-RW drive... had similiar prob ways back and it turned out that the CD-RW was going out on me...

also check the IDE Cable by installing a new 80 pin cable...

ftdisk.sys - driver for the Hard Drive...

atapi.sys - driver for the CD-Rom, DVD-ROM, CD r/w, etc.

Ben

I unfortanly do not have another 80-pin cable, but I replaced the hard drive (I have two, one 100 gig for win, one 20 for Linux) cable with another. So far so good, I guess. The cd-rw drive is quite old (4x2x32x, very fast when I got it). I checked for new drives, and Microsoft nor Ecs (mb maker) have drivers. The old 80-pin cable, while not as old as the one I replaced it with, is kind of mashed looking (I am not sure how it good to be that way...).

Well, 80 pin cable's are stiffer than their 40 pin counterparts of old... and thus tend to be more prone to internal breakage...

the drivers supplied by Microsoft are generic drivers for all CD-ROM type drives, as the interface communication is standardized (ATAPI), so there will not be any updates until a new style hardware interface (which would obviously need new comm. protocals) gets introduced... so checking with the Manufacturers and/or Microsoft will not lead to anything new...

the breakdown on the cables - up to ATA66 you need only the 40 pin cables - this includes CD-ROM type drives as nearly all are max DMA2 (ATA33)... starting with ATA100 (DMA4) use the 80 pin cables...

Ben

New update: (exciting stuff, I know). Windows has been running for 12+ hours w/o crashing! (New record for XP anyway). Looks like I have to be getting a new 80 pin cable.

Hi. Ive had this same problem... i formatted my pc and now my moniter will not come on... i know the moniter works cause i tested it on another pc... i dont think its the graphics card.. (nvidia 5300)... however i did change it out to a old card i had layin around (voodoo 3) and still the same results keep repeating.. every now and then if i restart the pc the moniter will flash like its tryin to come on... but does not... any tips are greatly welcomed thx

@HeyDudes - Please start your own Thread.... posting within another thread with different problems can lead to confusion...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back