Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd SMTP Service Timed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowball

Programmer
Oct 6, 2001
US
Hi all, I am seeing something odd in CF8. Every once in a while I see the following error message when sending a small batch of single emails one after the other:

Message: A problem occurred when attempting to deliver mail.
Detail: This exception was caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 421 4.4.2 service timed out.

If there are attachments they will come from a database, and I put the files on the file system and the file names into an array. So, sometimes there are file names in that array and sometimes there aren't. The code is arranged like so:

<cfmail>
body of email
<cfif ArrayLen(attachments)>
<cfmailparam> tags in a loop through the array
</cfif>
</cfmail>

Sometimes this gets that "service timed out" error. If I take the <cfif> tag out it doesn't fail, whether the array is empty or not. It seems that this code works:

<cfif ArrayLen(attachments)>
<cfmail>
body of email
<cfmailparam> tags in a loop through the array
</cfmail>
<cfelse>
<cfmail>
body of email
</cfmail>
</cfif>

It's wordy but it works. Am I losing my mind? How could this make a difference? Is this a bug I don't know about? Thanks!

Never mind, I just got the second bit to break, too. I think this is an IT thing with the SMTP services so I'll let them handle it. Thanks anyway, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back