Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Problem with Netgear Wireless Connection and Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellobrien

Programmer
May 14, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a weird problem. I have a netgear router and PCMIA card on my laptop. Connection via LAN is 100% for all actions, and mostly wireless is too.

However, I have several problems which I think must be linked and I do not think my software firewalls are the cause as I can disable them and it continues.

I cannot connect fully to Windows Update, error 0x80072EE2, and despite all knowledge base fixes no luck. Also Outlook will receive all email, send text email but will not send email with attachments. Similarly web access to an online account will not send attachments. Also I cannot http to my router via wireless (can normally).

None of this occurs via LAN...

Help!

Russell

PS: XP, SP2 and ZoneAlarm firewall windows firewall off

No,

Thanks but none of these seem to work. I will play with the MTU but in the past this has not been a problem so I can't understand the current situation.
Also why Outlook and attachments and why not even being able to connect to the router admin page via WAN and OK with LAN.

All v puzzling...

Russ

Any additional thoughts?

i have a setting on the router were you can stop internet use is yours allowing that???

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

No. It allows all other use entirely normally. I am really baffled by this one as it didn't do it in the past....

Russell

can u give me the model No. of the router pse!

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

NEtgear WGT624 108mbs running at 54mbps
Card = WG511T PCMIA and problem exists irrespective of card driver update.

Thanks for your help,

Russ

I have some problems with jpg attachments when I send them via my ISP's SMTP server to a hotmail.com address. I would not believe that it depends on my Netgear WPN824 wlan router but I will check soon by using a lan connection instead.

Interesting! but I really believe that the wlan connection only works on the physical level and thus would be quite transparent to content of the packets. Could anybody comment upon that?

ghemstrom

Your not correct on your assumption it only works at physical layer.

As a rule.
Cable - Layer 1 Physical

Hub / Switch - Layer 2 Datalink (MAC Addresses etc).

Router Layer 3 up - Network (Protocols e.g IP)most router are layer 3, but more powerful ones are able to route accoring to higher levels e.g application dependant.

Therefore your router can sort by protocol. Many host use differemnt site to pload photo's etc, so although Hotmail is on one IP address, the photo uploading part may be a completely different IP address. Therefore, your router may be the problem (although more likely to be a firewall issue, is yours turned on the router?).

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Hi Stu,

You are right about Hotmail who truly have their proprietary protocol, but I was sending through my ISP's smtp-server TO Hotmail.com , which is different. Of course my receiver of the mail might have some communication problems with hotmail...

And of course you are right about network layers too...

Ghem...
could it be you ISP bars jpg's via SMTP? Can you send them to yours ok.
I know some workplace firewalls block certain scripts and hyperlinking through the Firewalls. I know this as I can't view some emails properly with my Lycos account at work, but fine on the same laptop at home.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I guess the guy receiving my email is the one with problems. I sent the same mail to my own hotmail mailbox and it was directly sent to my yunk mail folder because my normal address was not known by my MSN Messenger/hotmail - I rarely send any mail to myself u see. The guy in question is an average hotmail user not too much accustomed to computers... I will talk to him ... He might be inside a firewall. But that would not explain that he received it via my hotmail account but not via my normal vanilla ISP

The thread has covered a few different points. I have found the initial problem.
After a reformat I used my wireless connection, but had not rerun the home network setup wizard and enabled file sharing in it, so now it works OK.

Thanks everyyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back