Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Happenings in Windows 2000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider03

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
I am in a small office with one computer attached to one modem with RJ45 jack. The IP provider's modem (VisionNet ADSL W708) spits the phone line and the DSL line (the Modem has a phone connection). It's been working great and is fast. I have been using it for the last 6 months.

Last week I could not connect to the internet with the brower or email. I talked to the support tech and we decided it was the modem, so they traded it out (I went there and got it and installed it). Still had the same problem. Could not connect.

Called tech support again and after trying a lot of stuff they suggested trying:
COMMAND: ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
and it worked.

But every time I reboot, once a day at least, I have to reenter the commands to get my internet connections.

I figure it must be something in Windows 2000 Pro but I can't find it. Of course it could be something besides that as well.

If you could help me with this I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Glider

Download this free utility:

WinSock XP Fix 1.2

It fixes quite a lot of internet connection problems, does not need installation and is easy & safe to use (2 buttons!).

Thanks to star spangled Bill Castner who shared this tip with us!

TomCologne

Thanks for the post.

I tried it but it made no differance.

Any other suggestions...anyone...Please..

Thanks,
glider

maybe try putting in a broadband router between pc and dsl modem to see if router can keep the connection - that would indicate a problem on pc. if router drops too, then there might be a line quality/signal problem.

also be sure to look in the event viewer under the system section to see if it gives any clues as to why the connection drops. messages from the network card and dhcp server are logged in there.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the resourse to the router thing.

I've checked logs before. All they say is that "the DHCP Server is unreachable. The automatic private IP address will be asigned to the dial in client.

Also, I use Zone Alarm firewall. It does not seem to be a part of the problem. As soon as I renew the connection Zone Alarm lets it through. I've put in a range of IP address to allow all Provider IPs though but it does not matter. I've disabled it and that does not make a differance either. It is the latest version but I've been using Zone Alarm for years with problem (on this computer and others).

I also just updated my Windows 2000 Pro, so it is upto date also. I did just loose my connection while opening the notification email from Tek-tips. I had to release/renew to get the link to work.

I've also ran my anti virus program and several anti spy programs as well. No change.

Thanks,
Glider

maybe its a PPoE problem. Im not too familiar with dsl (have cable) but, I know sometimes you need ppoe "dialer" software to initiate and maintain the connection. Your ISP usually provides this for you, dont know if youve already gone through that with them in troubleshooting or not.

have a look here:

and look at the section "Why do I have long delays after rebooting with Win2K and WinXP?"

maybe if "star spangled bcastner" is monitoring this post he can contriubute his thoughts...he seems to have extensive dsl support knowledge from other posts i have seen. i know xp has native ppoe support so im not sure about win2k. maybe you need something like WINpoet software.

I tried the links, no luck there. I am using streight DHCP and IP Provider Modem which all seem to be working well. I am using streight TCP/IP set to DHCP. I am not using Point to Point at all.

To recap, When I bootup My computer is not seeing the ISP. It cannot get the IP address. Once I use Ipconfig /release and /renew, it works perfectly with lots of speed. I tried IPconfig /renew alone and it does not work. I must /release first.

Setting are all correct and I have changed nothing that I know of to make this happen. I've for virus' and spyware with none found.

Maybe s"tar spangled bcastner" will help.

Thanks for all your input,
glider

The symtoms of your problem are striking similar to this document...

which outlines a possible loop condition on some STP switches. This will not be a problem at your end, but might be something to give your ISP's guys a few pointers. Then again, it might not, but might be worth enquiring!

Interesting.

I'll give my IP provider a call and see what they have to say.

Thanks,
glider

Y'all are great, all the time, no matter the problem
I love this site.

Ok, the plot thickens.

Today on two sepreate cold boots my computer has connected to the internet by itself without problems. I may have healed it self or the provider, unknown to me may have gotten my account streighten out. I have not contacted them yet.

Anyway, maybe it will stick. It if doesn't and the provider can't help me I'll post back.

Thanks for all the great help,
glider

one other thing to ask about is mac address registration. some ISPs require that the mac address of the modem be registered on the network. just another thing to ask if you have to call back. glad it appears to have sorted itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back