Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd error message in system status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phototechman

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2009
US
Hello,

I logged into my system status this morning and saw the following alerts:
Logon Failed due to incorrect userID/password.
Application: PC Partner
PC IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

1. I don't know what PC Partner, or have PC Partner installed from what I can tell.. What is it?
2. The machine that tired to log into PC Partner, was a Buffalo NAS.. The logs on the NAS show no activity at all (its actually just sitting there idol, we haven't used the NAS in months)

Is this something I can configure/remove? what exactly is this program? I didn't have much luck finding info on it from the avaya KB.
Thanks!

PC Partner is Phone Manager

The person put in the wrong password

BTW you can run sysmon and select pcpartner to see who is logged in.

Hello,
Ok i didn't know that PC Partner was the manager.. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

However, the 'user' entering the wrong password isn't possible. Why, there is no user, this is a Networked attached storage device made by buffalo technologies. And when i checked this nothing was running on it but SMB sharing. Everything else was shut off and I can't figure out how it was able to even try and authenticate into the avaya box.

I ran sysmon and was watching it to see if it happens again. I am the only user on this avaya box that has permissions to login and make changes.

Phone Manager not Manager. Manager programs the system while Phone Manager is a application installed on a user computer that the user can run for speed dials, vm retrieveal and logging etc.

Cargoski,

Well that makes things more confusing :) we don't use phone manager here at all. We have a very small system and really the people I work with wouldn't even know that we have a avaya box here.

As for sysmon, nobody is logged in other than my account. I'm going to keep an eye on it, maybe its just a false alert.

I have seen some network scanners and stuff do this too. could be something like that and the IPO thought it was PC Partner

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Kevin,
I'm having to think this is a fluke, I've been running this system for 3 years with the same NAS hooked up, never seen this before.. I hope its just a fluke and not something serious.. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back