Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODCB error 7312....[OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardHayes

Programmer
May 1, 2002
GB
When calling a stored procedure that takes some time to run from within an Access module, I get the following error (by cycling through the DBEngine.Errors collection):

"7312 (01000: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server][OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired])"

In order to avoid timeouts, I include the following line when creating the connection to the SQL Server via a DSN:

gdb.QueryTimeout = 0

Where is the timeout occurring? Any ideas how I can avoid this?

The problem may be in stored procedure, not your connection and local mdb environment. Have you ensured procedure is solid?
Jeff

I'm fairly confident with the sp yes.

The problem may lie in the fact that it involves linked servers, and command shells on the linked server.

I think I may split the proc into smaller chunks to ascertain if a certain part is hanging.

It was indeed the linked server causing the problem. When I ran the local stored proc (that call's the remote stored proc), it timed out, returning the following error.

OLE DB provider 'STREAM' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

I have fixed it by changing the procedure to run locally, but I would be interested if you knew how this timeout occurred (after about 14 minutes). I looked at the settings for the linked server, and both the Connection Timeout and Query Timeout are set to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back