Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBCINST.DLL: what is it??!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyDuke

Programmer
Sep 18, 2002
IE
Hello. i am in the girl scouts and i would like some information so i can earn my Computer Science Merit Badges

what does the following file do...

C:\Windows\system\ODBCINST.DLL

i reckon it has something to do with INSTalling Open DataBase Connectivity drivers, but i'm not sure...

any info will be greatly appreciated...then i'll be able to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!! ;-) [pipe]

According to Microsoft, "Applications using MFC database classes will need a setup program which installs ODBC components. They may also need an ODBC Administration program which will retrieve information about the available drivers, to specify default drivers and to configure data sources." (see reference below)

In other words, some program on your computer, probably a 'setup.exe' file for a database program or some program that stores any collection of data (Ie. spreadsheet or even a table) uses this .dll to interpret information within that program. Deleteing this file may render one or more of your programs in-operative.... Hope this helps..

For more info, refer to MSDN Library Item: TNO48
'Writing ODBC Setup and Administration Programs for MFC Database Applications

Thanx a lot. Your instruction was most helpful.

FYI, here's the story behind my question: i got a dialog box saying i required this file every time i double-clicked the "Printers" icon in "Control Panel". This problem occurs in spite of the fact that i don't use any database software on my machine! wierd, no?

it's ok though because my curiosity has been satiated...if that is a real word!!!

thanx again Thaya1088 [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back