Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OdBc system dsn change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCPro

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
US
i need to update system dsn across a set of 45 desktops pointing to a new database.

for ex;

we have testdsn that points to db1 on all 45 desktops xp.
how do i change that database to db2 on all of them?

tried using wsh. but, not working.

any ideas?

thx...

You can make a registry script that has the database name change and run it remotely on all the computers.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Artichoke,

Thanks for the reply. To update registry on all computers one has to have admin privileges. Not able to figure that part out. Most of the users are not admin's on their desktops. These are non-IT users. How can impersonate the admin? Do you have an example anywhere?

Thanks,

The way we do it is to set them up as local admins on their own machine, then they can alter the registry when they are logged on to that machine. There might be a way to do it with some program in the NT resource kit, but I haven't had to resort to that. Our IT group does the dirty work after we figure out how to do it.

Maybe the brute-force way to do it is to visit each machine via regedit (you can log on remotely) under an admin account and change each one manually - it's definitely a drag, but otherwise, you gotta visit each machine in person!

If you have the resource kit, check for some remote registry batch update type of program.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back