Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC SQLstate 42000-internal consistency err ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblabonte

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
Hello all,

I have two test servers running SLQ Server 7 (one is "blank"). I need to make a copy of a database from Server A (via backup) and restore it onto Server B (via restore). The purpose is to set up an enviornment for testing upgrades.

The two servers are actually on one machine which is a dual boot PC running Server 2000.

After creating the backup file from Server A, I copy it to the other drive (in backup directory). I then boot up to Server B and initiate the Enterprise Manager restore function. I am pointing to the correct drive in order to create a new version of this database on Server B.

The restore runs to almost completion and displays the following error:
SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLstate 4200): An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for Assistance. ...

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem, do you already found a solution for this ??

Sorry, no. I was able to do a restore from our other SQL 7.0 backup with no problem. Unfortunately, I have another project going live so I had to drop this one temporarily. I have a few ideas for testing, but can't address them for a couple of weeks.

I had this problem, this message was in the SQL Log.
The backup data in 'C:\GAYE_Data\DLR_DIF.bak' is incorrectly formatted. Backups cannot be appended, but existing backup sets may still be usable.

It transpired that the file was incomplete, it was copied across the network and showed correct written size but wasn't.

Recreated the backup and it worked

Had the same problem, and the solution was along the lines as "ourdai" had said.
You can check the backup file within Enterprise manager prior to restoring, by clicking View contents. An "incomplete" backup will have been labelled as "***INCOMPLETE***" by SQL backup.

Another alternative solution is listed at the Microsoft website, but it isnt a great solution! (id on knowledge base is 268481)

I had an issue like that. Had a dual boot system too. Was able to shake it free by initializing and labeling the tape before I did the backup. Once the backup was complete, I ejected the tape, booted into my other instance, pushed the tape back in and completed my restore w/out a hitch. This may work ... but maybe not. Good Luck!

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back