Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC setup on client fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickspace

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
US
Hi friends,
I am having some MAJOR issues accessing an MSDE server from a client machine. When I try to setup an ODBC pointing to the MSDE, I get the following error:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

The client machine has firewall disabled and has the latest version of MDAC. MSDE is installed on Windows Server 2003 in Mixed Mode. I am using Terra Trax for managing MSDE. I also tried using named pipes without success. Any advise\suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

I've the same problem and i tried this
:

while creating ODBC connection on the client machine,
Open ODBC DATA SOURCE ADMINISTRATOR
CLICK ON user dsn tab
click on Add
select SQL SERVER and click on finish
On the 'create a new data source window'
fill the name, description and server columns
click next
click on client configuration
on the Server Alias column: enter either ip address or name of the server

make sure to un-check the 'Dynamically determine the port'
[port number should be 1433]
click ok

>> The client machine has firewall disabled

The client machine does not need to have the firewall disabled. The SERVER must allow incoming connection on the MSDE port (usually 1433). Check the firewall settings on the server machine.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thanks guys. It turned out that TCP was blocked on the server (for whatever reason). Unblocking it solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back