Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC problem - Can't see new entry in System DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briantoes

Technical User
Nov 28, 2006
US
Hi all,

Have you all ever come across this problem with your ODBC in NT 4.0 Server?

It's in:

Start -> Setting -> Control Panel -> Data Sources (ODBC).

In this ODBC Data Source Administrator, under the System DSN tab, I can add in new data source, but here comes the problem. I cannot see the new data source that I've added.

Under the registry: [HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\ODBC\odbc.ini] I can see the new System DSN data source. But from the control Panel\ODBC\System DSN, I cannot see the new data sources..?!

Any clues or solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Brian

Hi, I am not an expert in the ODBC area, But, I have played around with it in my server testing. It will depend on if how you setup the database. In my case I could not make an ODBC connection to the data source, because the machine I was trying to connect with was not in the WINS database. I had this problem on more than one occasion. I use filters in the RRAS and in the network properties on the NIC's (multi-hommed) and those ports were blocked. Once I opened up the right ports the database could be seen and it would connect. Hope this helps.
Don

Hi Donnie,

Thanz for your suggestions. However, I don't quite get you.
Are u suggesting that I reinstall the NIC drivers again?

which are the ports that you have opened?

Thanz a lot.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back