Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC fails after server name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

oticonaus

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
AU
I am using Crystal Reports XI R2 and querying a MS-SQL database (64-bit Windows 2003, SQL Server 2005). Recently the SQL db servername was changed. I updated the ODBC Datasource to use the new name and was then able to connect again.
Existing reports did not work - even though the datasource name was the same. So, to fix those reports, I opened them, logged off the server (from within Crystal), then set the datasource location and connected to a new ODBC connection. This worked fine.

However, recently, now and again, NEW reports that have been made with the updated datasource after the server name change have come up with an error after saving them and then reopening them.

"Database Connector Error: '42000:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'tablename', database 'db name', schema 'dbo'. [Database Vendor Code: 229 ]"

This is the same error that came up on reports that I had created prior to the server name being changed.

Whilst I can fix it as described above, it is very annoying, and suggests to me that something is not right.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

Seems to suggest that the database user name does not have sufficient rights.

Check the user setup in the ODBC connection and ensure that it does indeed have sufficient rights to the tables the report is reporting from.

If I fix the problem by pointing to a new instance of the same datasource (with the same username) it works fine, which rules out rights being the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back