Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC error - status code 2103

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkcarlton

MIS
Sep 13, 2004
US
Hi All,

We were running a 3rd party application against a Pervasive SQL 7 database on a Novell server. We have terminated our contract with the software vendor but would like to pull the data out – without asking the software vendor. I tried to establish an ODBC connection (User DSN and System DSN) and get the following error message:

“Login must succeed before data source entry can be written (status code:2103)”.

Below is the info on the driver we have:
Pervasive Software ODBC-32
Version 2.54.01.00
W32BRINT.DLL
Date 10.13.1998

I have never worked with Pervasive and the solutions I have found on the Pervasive site and online otherwise have not been conclusive. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Kristina

If you want a non-odbc solution take a look at BtSearch32 at It will allow you to export to dbase or ascii formats. You will need the Pervasive Btrieve Windows drivers.

Gil

I tried BtSearch32 but could not see the files that contain the data. Also, my company would prefer a 0$ solution if at all possible.

Thank you,
Kristina

The 2103 is usually indicative of a configuration error. Make sure that an "SQLSTART" has been issued at the server. If that doesn't help, then, make sure your DDFs and data file are on the server (can't have either at the client unless you've also got a workstation engine).

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

The DDFs are definitely on the server. I am not sure about teh SQLSTART command however. How would I know whether it has been issued or not? Do I need to be at the server or can I connect to it remotely and issue the command?

Thanks,
Kristina

Since it's Novell, you can use RCONSOLE or go to the console directly. You can check for SSQL.NLM. If it's loaded, then SQLSTART has been issued. If not, issue it and it should load SSQL.NLM (among others).

Mirtheil

OK, so now I am able to create a system dsn and I can see tables when using the dsn via Access. However, some of the files that have the most records in them, do now show up in the list tables. Does that mean they have not added them to the dictionary? If so, is there a way for me to add them?

Thanks,
Kristina

I also get the following error message when trying to link the table:
Scalable SQL cannot open the data file to retrieve the file statistics (#296)

In DDF Ease I get the following error:
DDF Ease encountered Btrieve error 12 when trying to access [directory/filename].

the directory listed in teh error message is different then the actual directory where the files reside. I assume this is something in the catalog?

thanks,
Kristina

Sounds like you've got hard coded paths in your tables. You can check this by issuing a "SELECT * FROM X$FILE" from SQLScope. If the XF$LOC field shows a path and file (instead of just of a filename) then that's your problem and you'd need to fix that. There are several programs that will fix them including DDF Path Fixer, BTSearch32, and others.

Mirtheil

Thank you - I actually got a lot further yesterday. Most of the files are not defined in the dictionary. So I used DDF Ease to create a new database and then created some of the files in this new database. Once I did that I was able to view the data with MS Access via an ODBC driver. It's a lenghty process however, and all the columns are named "unamed_0, unamed_1, etc.".

If this is the only way to get to the data (?) I suppose we will do so.

Thank you for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Kristina

When you create the tables using DDF Ease, you should be able to change the column names. You might also look at using a SQL CREATE TABLE statement.

Mirtheil

The problem is that I don't know what the column names are. Is there a way to view the original column names? For the most part I can't tell by the data because the file names are not very descriptive to begin with.

I also encountered another problem. I tried to look at the data via MS Access/ODBC, but as soon as I execute the query it crashes and closes Access.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Kristina

Btrieve doesn't store field information (including field names). If this is a third party application, I would suggest going back to the vendor of the application for DDFs.
As far as Access crashing, I've never seen that. I would try SQL Scope. Does that work?

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back