Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC error is making me go mad: ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingbat

Programmer
Jan 28, 2002
GB
Please help me. I would normally work in VB (though have been working in mainframe technologies for the past year), but as our project hasn't much work at the minute I've been handed this web project in Visual Interdev to work in. Although I've asked for training in it their response was 'well it doesn't need to be done that quickly'... gee thanks!
There are two projects, one live version and one development. Each connect to an access database through a SQL database. There is an ODBC connection in System DSN to help this along. The live site works just fine. The development site (where I should be testing my new code) flops on the beach like a dead whale as soon as I try to connect to the database (for example, when I enter the logon name and password and then press 'OK').

Here is my error message:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

/ptrdev1/password1.asp, line 45

I have already tried the various solutions offered by the MSDN but to no avail. I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the SQL database.
Any ideas?????
Yours in desperation as otherwise I may have to brain myself with my desk.
BatCat

First check if it is possible to connect with the ODBM Database administration program.
If yes, try to use this ODBC connection in Excel/ Query
If that works, you must look at the conection definition in your ASP.

br
Gerard

Hi,

I had a similar problem... I finally figured out that it was due to my global.asa not firing. See Microsoft knowledge base articles Q188715, Q288245, Q306345. I still have not figured out how fix my situation... For testing I execute the master mode copy rather than the local mode copy. If this ends up to be your problem, and you get it fixed... please provide an update within this thread.

Thanks!

Most webs run under the identity of IUSR_machinename or IWAM_mahinename. Its these users (created whe iis is installed) that load up ODBC and Access etc.. If the sutable access rights are not created for these users, then the ODBC will fail. (Content Management)

I have same prob and have been at it for days. Did anyone find a solution that works? I've tried everything.. changing registery files the lot!

Thanks,
Sarah

This is usually caused by incorrect or absent data when the connection object tries to open the connection.

Has the connection string been properly defined?
Has it been correctly assigned to the object?
Is the string in the current page or global.asa?
If so, is the global.asa unique within the scope of the application and is it in the correct place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back