Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connection using Windows NT authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I've created a number of Delphi applications that work against a SQL Server 7.0 database. These operate through a single database component that makes use of a ODBC connection. Normally when I set up these ODBC connections I (after selecting a Name and Server-Name) select the option 'With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user' (for the parameter 'How should SQL Server verify the authenticity of the login ID'). However I am now attempting to make use of an ODBC connection whereby I select the option 'With Windows NT authentication using the network login ID'. I have not been successful in doing this. When I click the 'Next' button on the creation of the ODBC connection I am presented with an error indicating that the login failed for the indicated user (I am unable to set the user-name/password) - I had assumed that the user/password would be taken from the login (for the Windows NT / 2000 machine) but this does not provide me with a successful connection.
This is probably something fundamental that I'm missing so would appreciate any pointers anyone may have with this ....
Thanks in advance.
Steve

As you would set up a SQLServer login in Security, you will also need to add the NT Login into the list of users in the security area. If you set ODBC to Network Authentication and SQLServer didn't then check to make sure that it's database reflected that this NT User could log in, anybody could log into your DB as long as they were an NT user.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Mark

i'm going to be setting up a ODBC connection to a Microsoft SQL Server on a win nt machine. It is a local server -the database and ODBC are on the same machine.
is there anything that I may need to know to make this successful? is it fairly simple?

Thanks,
Porshe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back