Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC connection to MS access 97 database

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimYellow

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
AU
I have a web site that varifies login taking the user name and password from an access database

when a database user has a data object open the login on the website dosn't work

when there are no users in the database the login works

I have checked exclusive shared propertys within the database and odbc connection and all are set to shared

the DB cant be "open" by a user at any given time if this is a data source for web use, meaning maintenance would ned to be done via web, opening the db in the Access client locks the db, and in turn locks out everyone else.

if you have a ADO/ODBC connection to it it should handle 20 concurrent connections via web.

make sure to create/open your ADO object _JUST_ before you need it and close it as soon as you pull your recordsets, then close the connection immediately after so that the open connections is kept to very small time frames. by doing this and planning your data fetches properly, an access db can handle quite alot of internet traffic before needing to upgrade to a better data source.

also when you do open/connect via ADO, make sure it's read only and foreward only, that way you're not tying up much needed db connections.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
if all else fails, light it on fire and do the happy dance!
" I always think outside the 'box', because I'm never inside the 'loop' " - DreX 2005

the users to an access databace only prevent other users from accessing the data if the db is open exclusively

the problem was the iuser account privolages

we had a second problem with IIS, it had been changed to ver6 we set it to act as IIS ver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back