Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC connection problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyceyBaby

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
Help!

I have installed postgreSQL 7.3.2 from source for my LFS4.0 linux system.

I have downloaded psqlodbc. When I setup a linked table in access, it works briefly but then it will have connection problems after a short while, 60 seconds?

The ODBC errors I am getting are the following:

- could not connect to remote socket (#101)
- no response from backend (#27)
- could not send query (connection dead) (#27)
- unexpected protocol character during authentication, error while reading from socket (#210)

eventually I can recreate the linked table, but then I fall foul of the same problems.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Royce

I've just had a thought - gwinn7's idea (suggestion about the nic/cabling) was great, but saldy not the solution.

There is another db (mysql) running on that server and it has not had any problems as of yet.

Cheers anyway Gary.

Can you shut down the other DB temporarily to see if it is interfering in some way?

Trojan.

Yikes!
Can you migrate this other database off onto another machine then?

Trojan.

Right - my perfect user has problems - it's probably not a random hit, rather som users haven't hit it yet.

We can't shift our mysql off the server, but it's not very intensive, and does not communicate at all in the same place.

The mysql gathers site stats, and talks to the web only, whereas tha postgres just talks to the application, and now and then to the web.

No web side errors have been reported yet either.

I was wondering if you could run a copy of the postgres db on a different machine to see if that works ok.

Trojan.

I have taken a copy of the nightly backup and dumped it onto out stage environment (close to live hardware-wise) and tested it with no errors.

What problems are you seeing exactly?
ODBC errors?
Do you have error codes?
Does the app fail? Does it just crash or hang?
Can you create a debug version of the app to help track the problem?
Could you write a very short hammer app to hammer the server with requests to see if the server fails? (Just cut and paste a few chunks of code and loop it all.)

Just a few ideas.
Sorry gotta go out for a while, I'll check back later.
Good luck.

Trojan.

Right, here we go -

1. Error messages in unpredictable places
2. Yes, and No. Some are, some are more generic. They look like they are ODBC attempts to ttry to connect to the serbver, and failing.
3. yes, they're exactly the same as royceybaby above (pasted here to safve scrolling:

RoyceyBaby said:
- could not connect to remote socket (#101)
- no response from backend (#27)
- could not send query (connection dead) (#27)
- unexpected protocol character during authentication, error while reading from socket (#210)

4. Fails and needs to be restarted. Haven't had a case of it hanging (yet)...
5. Have created one, but it yields nothing helpful - just says when it fails, not why (apart from above error messages)
6. can do, and will try it tomorrow morning.

Cheers for all the help today.

WonderCow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back