Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC: Change Username & Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnayana

Programmer
Nov 14, 2002
US
Hi Everyone!

I'm a novice at Crystal Reports. I've only been using it since September 06.

We have a number of reports (est. 200) that were created by a former co-worker under his username and password.

Everytime we open up one of the reports created by him, and run it, we receive the "AR System ODBC Login" (we're using Remedy) prompt specifying his username and password in the fields.

Even though we can get in by using our new group username and password, its annoying to have to do this for every report that we view/modify. Is there any way to change this to reflect the default username and password that we are now using when we create reports so we won't run into this problem in the future (i.e. when someone else leaves)?

My only other thought was to re-create all of the reports under the new username and password, but that's a lot of work.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! [ponytails2]

Openthemin Crystal, run them (thereby changing the user/pw, and then save them.

I think that will change them, if not, open them, (don't run it) and select Database->Set Location, set the data source and then save it, that should work.

Using proprietary logins, as you now know, is a bad idea.

-k

You might also want to look at what the user ID an PW on the ODBC connection itself is set to. This is part of the ODBC setup in Windows itself as opposed to what's in the reports.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

If the issue is that the users don't like to repeatedly authenticate when they run the reports, there are 3rd-party viewers (see list at: that can solve that issue. In the case of my DataLink Viewer software, I call that feature "Integrated Authentication".

- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thank you to all for responding. [bigsmile]

Synapsevampire, I will try making those changes based on your instructions. However, please explain why "proprietary logins" is a bad idea. I thought having it set as a generic userid/password would be better to prevent the issues we're having now (so it won't be tied to a specific individual). BTW, does this suggestion work for a specific version or all? We're currently using version 9.

Hilfy, we changed the ODBC username/password to reflect the generic userid/password but still received the prompt even by signing in under it (i.e. generic username/password).

Thanks! [ponytails2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back