Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC 'Cannot Open File' error

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumsticks

Programmer
Jun 5, 2004
US
Hello,

I am attempting to connect a .dbc file through ODBC using a Visual Foxpro Driver. The .dbc file is located on another machine to which I have created a network path X:\ alias for a UNC path to that remote computer.
The ODBC accepts this during the setup, however, it throws an error when connecting to the ODBC by way of Coldfusion.
I have also only tried using the UNC path in the ODBC setup using \\192.168.0.10 , but received the same error.

Is there some type of setup that I am not understanding.

Thank you for your assistance.

Turn on ODBC trace and see what is in the trace log. That might provide a clue.

Also, can you connect to this datasource through MS Access or Excel (or some other MS tool)?

Tom Morrison

Thank you for the recommendation with the ODBC trace.
I'll check it out and give you an update.

The ODBC must use Visual Foxpro Driver, as Coldfusion can only connect to the VFP DB Container through ODBC.

It also is really helpful to know if a Microsoft application (such as Excel) can connect to the datasource. If it can, then we know the problem has something to do with Coldfusion.

Tom Morrison

Just ran into this and dump founded also. But went back to old DOS basics to figure this out. I found out the files and sub files had been set to Read Only. Took out the check box for that and everything was fine. It would not hurt to take a look at the file setting and see what it says.

David

The culprit is security rights between the two computers.

I'm attempting to change the security settings to allow full access, but I still cannot seem to even add a file from the W2K3 OS to a folder residing in the XP OS. I'm getting 'Access is denied.'

I thought this would be simple enough by allowing full access, but it's still not letting me have full access for some reason.

I have a created a VPN which automatically connects from the 2K3 OS to the XP OS. The network drive letter is X, and X connects through the VPN.

The user I am using is 'webserver', which resides on the XP OS, and it has full access as an administrator. Does this seem correct to you guys? I do not have the best knowledge when it comes to user rights.

Thanks,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back