Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC - can see out, but can't see in 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will192

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
Windows 2000 Advanced Server (latest service pack)
SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (8.00.2187)

1. Server can see other machines in network through Windows Explorer
2. Server can connect to other machines in network through ODBC
3. Other machine can't connect to my server through ODBC
4. Other machine can browse shared folders on server through Windows Explorer
5. Worked fine yesterday, ODBC went out sometime before midnight last night
6. No events pointing to problems in the event log.
7. Problem is fixed with reboot.
8. Automatic updates is turned off
9. All updates were downloaded and installed about 1 1/12 weeks ago.
10. Server can be seen through Enterprise manager on server
11. Query analyzer cannot connect from remote machine
12. Query analyzer can connect if ran from server

What should I be looking for to make sure that this doesn't happen again? (I know that there has been more updates since then)

I don't think the star abuse has ever been a big issue. If you limit stars to the originator of the thread then you prevent anybody else who was able to learn from the suggestion from expressing their gratitude as well.

-kaht

Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

I was saying originator or anyone who has posted to the thread. If star abuse has never been a problem, then nothing needs to be changed.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live

Will192,

As pointed out, the FAQ part of my post is part of my signature block. All FAQ's for a forum can be viewed via the FAQ button at the top of the thread.

The reason anyone can give a star in a thread is that they may have had or are having the same issue and want to thank a poster for their solution. Sometimes the original poster of a thread is given a star because: 1) they came up with a solution on their own that was unique/outstanding or 2) their question/issue was one that maybe no one else has thought or or realized (ie a possible bug) and the corresponding discussion was though provoking.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back