Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC call failed - MS Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

sants

MIS
Aug 2, 1999
VN
I am trying to connect to an Oracle d/b (8.1.6) using ODBC through MS Access 2000. I created a system DSN with the right parameters. The "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver version i am using is 2.573.5303.00 on W-NT SP5. Through access when i try to connect the following error pops up:

ODBC--call failed.
[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle](#0)[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection not open (#0)

What could be the reason?

It could be many things and I offer moral support.

These kind of non-specific error messages drive me nuts. I got this message a year ago because I needed to put in the IP address instead of the server name, while so called experts outside this forum "never had any problems" with their solutions. Initially, it looked like it worked. I am whining, sorry.

Chris
Chris

I have been trying to do the same. Is your oracle on another box? if so you will need to start the listener and configure the listener.ora files etc. Maybe it is better to ask this question in the oracle forum? Whatever the outcome, I would be curious as to how you set it up.

sants,
I have a similar problem. I was wondering if you resolved yours?
Thanks

I get the same thing for longer query's only. I've had the same issue with Oracle 8.1.6 AND 8.1.7 client installs (using the Oracle ODBC driver. The problem does not exist when using Oracle 7.3.x drivers. Are there restrictions or ceiling defaults on the new Oracle ODBC drivers?

I have a similar kind of problem. I get this problem when i try to link to a oracle table. Also when i try to create a new dsn or configure an existing oracle dsn through ODBC admininstrator no window pops up when i select the ORACLE ODBC driver. It should actually be asking me a DSN name, Server name etc which it doesn't.
I am not able to figure out what is the problem ? Can anyone give me any solution on this too.

Thanks
Premal

The problem isn't that the ODBC call is failing but rather that it is timing out. There's an option in the ODBC settings called "Enable Query Timeout" and it is checked by default. Uncheck this option. Access will appear to hang. Eventually it will come back with results.

I experienced this problem when adding link tables to my Access database. Once the tables where added, everything worked fine and at normal speeds.

engbrer,

Where do I go to change that "Enable Query Timeout"? I looked in my control panel under the connection I made but don't see it. I'm currently connecting to SQL through Access. I would be eternally grateful if I could get this fixed. Thanks!

Susan

Hi All,
Sorry for the late response, but i managed to resolve the issue by creating a file dsn instead of a system dsn. i have no clue why this worked and the other didn't. It'll be great if someone could enlighten us with the difference between the two.

Thanks for all your responses.

To answer Susan's question, you can enable query timeout in access 2000 by right clicking on any linked table you have in your access db and choosing 'linked table manageer'. Select all the tables, and check off 'always prompt for new location' , and a 'select data source' window will popup. Under the machine dsn tab, click new, and create a new system data source. You will get a screen where you name this data source (give it the same name as your old data source if you just want to replace it) and you can uncheck 'enable query timeout'.
You can do the same thing through windows administration tools by selecting Data Sources (ODBC).

I HAVE A SABRE DESKPRO, TRYING TO INSTALL WINDOWS MS OFFICE 97,,,ERROR MESSAGE POPS UP..SAYS"THE CONF. OF THE ODBC MICROSOFT ACCESS DRIVE (-*MDB)DRIVE FAILED. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN AND HOW CAN I GO ON

Hi,
More a question rather thn a answer. Why are you messing about with Access when you have Oracle? I guess you have an Access database that is being written to a proper db system?
Just curious.
best
kev

I work with a state program that distributes money to women infant and childen. The software/db is Oracle.

I am in the Technology Management team with the developers, dbs, business analysts network/hardware staff.

There are also the vendor team, the nutrition team, and the performance team. These other teams need info from the software/db. They can barely use Office. They know the most about Outlook.

I run reports in Access to give to the "teams". Even funnnier I have to give them the data usually in static XL spreadsheets.

The use of Access is driven by end user's who need info from raw data but have no idea how to get from A to B.

Doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back