Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC acting crazy. Help needed from you ODBC w/ Oracle pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaaprogrammer

Programmer
May 4, 2001
US
I am having some serious problems with an application that uses ODBC to connect to an Oracle 8i database. I developed the app on an NT machine, and everything functioned perfectly. My machine was recently upgraded to 2000 Pro. When I run the app, I get the ODBC for Oracle login dialog. Sometimes, it would login and open up my dialog box right away, running perfectly. Sometimes, I would get an error saying "ORA - 12537: TNS: connection closed" or "ORA - 12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name". Yesterday, it quit logging in completely, and gave me the ORA - 12154 error every time.

My first attempt to fix this was to download the latest ODBC drivers and install them. That failed.

My second fix was to move my "TNSNAMES.ORA" and "SQLNET.ORA" files from a network drive to my local drive, and point the registry to them. Now, I can login successfully every attempt. BUT, the crazy thing takes 3 or 4 minutes to login and pull up my dialog box (something that normally took 5-10 seconds).

Has anyone else had any experience like this? How can it be fixed?

It almost sounds like a network problem. Do you have another application you could use to check the connection to the service name? Maybe the Oracle ODBC Test that comes the Oracle client Utilities. If that doesn't have a problem, then it is your app, but if it does, it sounds like something in the network or Drivers that are screwed up.

Just a thought.

My app connects to the database, reads the records of field in the db, then opens up the dialog. One of the fields of the dialog is a drop-down list that contains those records that were initially fetched. The dialog takes some user input, goes back to the db with the input parameters, fetches data, and prints out a report.

I am also thinking that is is a network problem. I just don't know what. My SQLPlus connects and runs fine, but of course that doesn't use ODBC. I'm not familiar with an Oracle ODBC test utility. Unfortunately, our DBA got fired a few days ago, so I don't have anyone to ask about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back