Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OCZ PC3200 - Intel D865PERL - Non-Default BIOS Timings - Won't Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaplant

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
US
One of my techs installed 2 x 512 OCZ PC3200 EL DDR Platinum in Intel D865PERL MOBO with default BIOS settings. Windows XP Pro installed successfully.

He then rebooted, entered the BIOS: "Advanced" > "Chipset Configuration" and changed the BIOS settings from the default and auto settings to "User Defined" and entered the settings for the spoecific OCZ memory modules (2-2-3-5-1T), saved settings and exited.

Now the system won't POST. In order to get back into BIOS, the jumper is set to Configure Mode. I've reset the BIOS to "Optimal Defaults", saved and powered down, reset jumper to Normal Mode" and rebooted but the system still won't post.

Disabling Silent Boot shows the BIOS counting up the ram (correctly identified as 1024 MB shown as in dual channel dynamic paging mode). On "Main" screen in BIOS, the system correctly identifies the two 512 modules in the correct DIMM slots (slot 0 in both DIMM Channels A and B), but the system still won't post.

I have tried altering the settings, default settings ands everything I can think of to get the system to POST including removing the RAM modules for several minutes and reinserting them (have to remove the AGP card to do so) but no joy.

I'm guessing something has happened to the SPD on the modules?

Can anyone suggest a fix short of an RMA?

Thanks.

I forgot to mention I reflashed the BIOS to latest version (P08) so all the current settings are strictly factory default.

Thanks for any help.

Take out the memory and replace 1 stick at a time. Boot and see if it posts if not the try the other stick. This memory doesn't appear as tested memory for this board. Dual channel can be very fussy about the memory. Both modules have to have the same exact specs.

Got o this link for tested memory:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back