Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OCX REGISTRATION 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSK

Programmer
Sep 27, 2000
NZ
I am having great difficulty trying to register crystl32.ocx on a target machine running win98. I have tried using regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system\crystl32.ocx to uninstall and then regsvr32 c:\windows\system\crystl32.ocx to re-install bu I get the following error message :

LoadLibrary("c:\windows\system\crystl32.ocx")failed
GetLastError returns 0x00000485

I believe error code indicates file not found, but file exists @ indicated path.

Also tried using regocx32 but this displays no error message
but does not work.

Application in VB4 dies when it tries to load a from with a crystal report ( ver 3 ) control. Why is life so difficult???!!! [sig][/sig]

The error message you are getting is also caused by missing dependency files for the file you are trying to register.

The dependent files for crystl32.ocx are:
crpe32.dll
comcat.dll
olepro32.dll

(for version 6.1.0.609 of the ocx, at least).

Check the dependency file - crystl32.dep in winnt\system32 or windows\system - to see what the dependent files are for your version and then check that each of these has been installed and registered.

Simon [sig]<p>Simon<br>[/sig]

I have done all the things you have suggested but still no luck. There is no file crystl32.dep on both my computers.
In fact regsvr32 does not work on any ocx or dll!!! [sig][/sig]

This is a quick cheat but it worked for me. What I did was add all the crystal components and references into a standard exe and then used the package & deployment wizard to create a set up file. I then ran this set up on the target machine. This placed all the appropriate dll's etc onto the appropriate machine and this worked fine.

I hope it works for you [sig][/sig]

Excellent stuff guys, from your information I have discovered how to ultimately conquer this dll & ocx registration problem in a logical way. First download this excellent diagnostic program from codestone :

Run the program on the problem machine and enter the dll or ocx that is giving you the problem. The software generates comprehensive reports on the selected library file. Click the dependency tab and find the files that a marked with a red x. You will need to install these files and register any indicated missing dlls and ocxs first before you can register your original dll or ocx. Use the following to do the registration :

for ocxs:
regsvr32 /u [path]\*.ocx to uninstall and then
regsvr32 [path]\*.ocx to re-install
or

for dlls:
regsvr32 /u [path]\*.dll to uninstall and then
regsvr32 [path]\*.dll to re-install

For your app to work properly, make sure all files indicated by the diagnostic software are the same version as in your development machine. In my case, crystal reports still did not work even after registration of the ocx because crpe32.dll on the problem machine was from a remanant file from a previous installation of crystal reports (ver 7.x)which had been uninstalled but this rogue file still remained. I had to manually delete this file before my installation finally worked.

Hope this helps all those having installation blues. [sig][/sig]

Nice program. It helped me solve my registration problem quite easily. Thanx! :-Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back