Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Octel 350 Tape Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan5800

Technical User
Aug 7, 2007
CA
Has anyone ever heard of the tape not going into the tape drive? It worked a onth ago and now will not go. My vendor replace the tape drive and has the same problem. Any ideas?

I assume that you mean the tape will physically not go into the drive. Is the green light on?

Correct. The Amber light is solid. Same issue with the cleaning tape like the drive mechanism is jammed. So they tried another drive and then the SCSI cable. Same issue.

I think it is the power. You will find a 2nd 12 volt connector on the backplane over to the right looking from the back. I am on vacation so i do not have the layout with me. I have seen the tape connector go bad on backplane before.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

This is an issue whereby a DDS-3 (12GB) tape drive won't even accept a tape cartridge. DDS-2 drives are not so affected.
Resolution: Without placing a cartridge into the drive, just try reading the tape header (it will fail, but it is OK). The SW will then allow insertion of the cartridge into the drive and proceed with your backup task. Somehow the drive or board on the drive needs to be accessed before it will allow insertion of the cartridge.
I have verified this several times on several different machines.
Let me know if it doesn't fix it.
Pat (Former TAC :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back