Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OCTEL 100 Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie2

Programmer
Jul 26, 2005
US
I have a friend with several Octel 100's that he accesses with a PC running a WARP OS - GUI interface.

From reading on this forum, it appears you can access a 100 remotely the same as a 200 system and use Procomm or some other emulator and do away with the WARP PC with the GUI... Is this accurate?

Using Windows (or DOS) with Procomm or Hyperterminal this works OK.
Installing a modem gives you the possibility to make remote service til the VMX-100 and the OCTEL 200/300.

You just call the voice mail group number and press ###5 in your modem session, and after entereing your passoword, you are logged in.

Simple and easy - just the way it shuold be with ALL other systems.
/// doktor

DOKTOR:

Just to confirm... He will not need to use their dedicated PC running the RSM tools anymore, if he dials into it from his desk using Procomm or Hypertermal???

If it is an truly an Octel 100 system then you can only use the RSM software, otherwise use doktor's suggestions.

Chuck...
I guess thats what I am really questioning. Is there two different versions of the 100 system? VMX vs. Octel?

The VMX-100 and the OCTEL 200/300 are basicly quite old, but extremely stable systems.
You will use Procomm or Hyperterminal to logi to these system either through the COM port or through a remote servicing modem.
Your system is a VMX-100 or OCTEL 200/300 if you can dial in to the voice mail group an press ###5 and obtain a modem tone.
/// doktor

Yes, the Octel 100 is a voicemail system running on a PC with the IBM OS2 Warp operating system. The VMX 100 is a standalone system. If the voicemail system in question is running OS 2 Warp and has a GUI interface then you can bet that it is an Octel 100.

The RSM software can be loaded onto a Windows PC, you just need the Windows version of the software. If you still have the RSM software CD it should hopefully have a folder for OS2 installation and a folder for Windows NT installation. I am currently running the RSM on a PC with Windows XP Professional with SP2.

Hey Chuck,

How can I identify the RSM for Windows software? I recenlt got talksed with supporting several of the OS/2 based O100's. I know well enough about the VMX flavor called O100.

Thanks,
Bob K.

You could buy it from Avaya while the Octel 100 system was still supported. The software was called RSM for Remote Services Manager. Later on I think it was called or developed by InfraTools. The CD has the software for both the OS/2 operating system and Windows operating systems.

I figured that. Is there any avialability in the secondary market? The only other option I know of is to get another O100 and use it as the RSM box. I'll try to search on InfraTools and see if I get anything.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it is available on the secondary market. I also think that an Octel 100 with RSM pre-loaded may only have the Client software loaded and not the Manager software necessary.

Hmmm, sounds like I may be putting out a fire with a teacup. What're my options now?

Mgmt bought the O100, it's a 3.1 with all the software, including 4 floppies of Carbon Copy Remote Access Host. It's a got a Lucent badge on it. No documentation though. Anybody have the docs???

I am not sure if I can post links, but the documentation is on the Avaya site. Go to Google and search 'Octel Infratools" and go to the link. Once there, you can find all the documentation in the links to the left.

If the Carbon Copy Remote works then I would use it. I thought that was for the Octel 50 since it uses DOS as the operating system, but I don't remember if Carbon Copy works on OS/2.

I've loaded carbon copy on a WIN98SE laptop. I'// pop the disk into the O100 and see if it can read it. I'll let you know the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back