Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtaining an unrestricted license for a Cisco PIX 501?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatt3r

Technical User
Nov 23, 2010
US
Is it possible to still obtain an unrestricted license for a Cisco PIX 501? Even after it has reached its 'end-of-life'?

PURCHASING AND INSTALLING LICENSES
To enable the licenses on a Cisco PIX Security Appliance, an activation key must be installed on that appliance. This key combines all licensed
features for a specific Cisco PIX Security Appliance into a single 32 or 40 digit hexadecimal number. An activation key is installed at manufacturing
time on each Cisco PIX Security Appliance, and it includes any specific licensed features selected by a business at time of purchase. Businesses can
either purchase a configurable Cisco PIX Security Appliance chassis with all desired license and hardware options, or alternatively, businesses can
simply purchase a Cisco PIX Security Appliance bundle—bundles combine each Cisco PIX Security Appliance model with its most popular license
and hardware options into a single part number for simplified purchasing.
Businesses can upgrade the licensed features for an existing Cisco PIX Security Appliance using two different methods. Encryption Licenses can be
obtained free-of-charge through a Web-based process on Cisco.com (details provided in the section below). Businesses can upgrade all other license
types by purchasing the appropriate license upgrade part number from Cisco Systems or an authorized reseller (see upgrade part numbers available
by chassis in tables 7, 9, 11, and 13 below). Upon purchasing an upgrade, businesses will receive an upgrade kit that contains a Product
Authorization Key (PAK), along with instructions on how to access Cisco.com to complete the upgrade process. Using this easy-to-follow Webbased
process, businesses simply enter the PAK from their upgrade kit and the serial number of the Cisco PIX Security Appliance they wish to
upgrade, and a new activation key for their appliance will be emailed to them. Upon receiving the activation key, businesses can install the new
activation key on their Cisco PIX Security Appliance by following the remaining instructions that came with the upgrade kit.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps2030/product_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.pdf
This document was released before the PIX product line reached its end-of-life. Does anyone else have some insight?

No it is not possible as it is an obsolete product.

It's not at all possible to get my PIX 501 from a 10 to Unlimited license?

Why dont y try to put a post in cisco forum? or just go to cisco.com online helpdesk and ask them.They have a chat where y can do that.Y just need to register.

I think is stupid not being possible to get so simple license.

I don't think the PIX 501 was ever intended to allow unlimited connections. if I recall it has a very slow CPU and very little memory! I've never seen one that has more than 50 workstations behind it and more than a few public IP addresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back