Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

obtaining an e-mail before linking to a pdf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat37

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
I have our company catalog on our website and I would like to obtain the customers e-mail address before they are able to look at the catalog so that I can see who is looking at the catalog (trying to keep out the competition) how would I go about doing that?

Any help would be appreciated

kerrie

have them register with their email before viewing the catalog

Then you can have a page which check for the registered email if it exist allowing them to view the catalog, if not redirect them to the registration page.

user.gif
[sup]
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!
[/sup]
-TonyU

But how do I verify the e-mail before directing them to the pdf file? I haven;t done that before.

Thanks

create a "login user" behavior using the email field to compare it to the database and you will be prompted to redirect if the user's email does not exist.

if they do not exist you would redirect them to the register page.

user.gif
[sup]
[/sup]
-TonyU

I am not using a database though, before I uploaded the PDF file potential customers would fill out a form wich would then come back to me. Now that they ccan view the catalog themselves I am losing the lead I would normally get. So I think all I would need is a small form with a few fields that would come back to me, so I could just keep track of who is viewing the file. But alas I am lost!!!

Thanks

well if u do not want to use some DB and dynamically layout things...then you can setup a simple email form that will have "OnSubmit --> goto this URL /download.html" where you disclose the link.
Now, the problem is that this way people can send you fake info (unregistered-not logged in) and be able to download and ones they know the full URL they can "share" it with others that then do not need to fill out your little form.
SO what you could do in this non-dynamic environment is perhaps 1x a week change the location of the catalog file and edit the "download.html" file.
OR do nothing at all and accpet a few repeated or bogus emails.
eg.
File Maker "requires" you to fill out this form in order to Download their trail software:

or now that I know the URL I can just go here and download wihtout signup:
anyway....
all the best!

With all the spam that is floating around I usually sign email forms with a@a.com which gets around form validation but doesnt give my email to whoever. Unless of course I need to actualy receive an email in order to activate an account.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

see Cheech is a perfect example....not that I use my real email either...LOL ;)

all the best!

What??! you're not suppossed to? [rofl]

user.gif
[sup]
[/sup]
-TonyU

Kat,

My situation is similar to yours. I get around it by requiring them to enter their email address and then sending them the link BY EMAIL. If the address is valid, they will receive the link, otherwise, it is returned to me as "Not Deliverable". In other words, No address = no service.

In your case you may want to collect their address with a password, and then email them a link to a logon page.

If you would like to see a demonstration of what I am speaking of, go to my site at and choose the "Free Evaluation".

Good Luck,

Graham

Kat,

I just realized that a little more information is needed here. Sorry!!

Just remember to keep it simple. Here is how it would work for you:

1. The customer enters their email address.

2. When they click the submit button, 2 emails are immediately sent.
- A Confirmation email sent to them stating that
they will receive a link within 1 business day.
- A second copy sent to yourself.

3. If you receive a "Non Deliverable" for the address, you know it is a fake. Otherwise, you send them a link to download the PDF.

Regards,

Graham

Balance the paranoria of keeping the competition out with the need to make it simple for your customers - the harder you make it to look at your catalog, the fewer people will bother.

If this is a B2B site then registration might be expected. If you are selling to the public, unless the product is very unusual, making them register is probably not a good idea.

JMHO

Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from (or ignorance of) the problem.

BT

"customers - the harder you make it to look at your catalog, the fewer people will bother. "
-- Exactly....I want instant result...I don't want to go back and attempt to check my email just to D/L your file...what if my email service is down that day?what if my email service is too slow and I do not want to be bothered with login--check mail and all...what if I am too busy? what if the customer is at a public (coffee shop-type) place and does not want to D/L but just see it on the web?

I would do both!
send and email link but also show the link automatically so user has a choice and does not need to create a duplicate emails if he/she desires to re-downoload or "re-lookup" you PDF catalog...all they have to do next time arroud is look at the email link u sent!
anyway,
all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back