Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtain distance between zip codes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxWill

MIS
Mar 30, 2009
US
Have a list of 100+ zip codes that I need to find if each one is over 15 miles from three zip codes.

is there a function or formula that will assist?

Do you also have some sort of coordinates for these?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

If you have something that gives latitude and longitude of each zip code reference you could run some sort of vector evaluation between two known points. Without that, I would say you are out of luck as there is no particular direct relationship between zips. The first three digits refer to the regional distribution facility, so the odds are that if the first three digits are different in your comparison you are likely more than 15 miles apart, but not necessarily. For more rural areas, the actual sequence of zips seem to be alphabetical within the regional distribution area so even if the two zips are only one digit off, that does not mean they are adjacent. Similarly a major metropolitan area may have one set of zips (including the first three digits) that vary from the three digit zip for the surrounding rural area, even those some of the localities within the regional area may be within 15 miles of the closest of the rural areas adjacent.
If you are interested in a comparison between any portion of a zip code area to another area you are really out of luck because in general there is not a clean (straight) boundary between area.

Did obtain a function that will calculate distances for latitude and longitudes.

But, I need a method to convert zipcodes to latitude and longitude.

The websites that were found require one to type in the zip codes.

In the past I have used MS MapPoint and an add on called MileCharter to do what you are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back