Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object Oriented Analysis and Design Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasudev123

Programmer
Oct 11, 2005
IN
Hi All,

I am very new to this OOAD field. Please guide me regarding how to proceed in learning OOAD. Please let me know the names of good books on OOAD, good OOAD links and OOAD Materials/notes.

Also please let me know what is the easy process/procedure for identifying classes.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Vasu

You MUST have a copy of Martin Fowlers 'UML Distilled'.

Dont go deep inot any other books until you feel that you can handle his small subset. That small subset is enough for the analysis of most projects, so why get complicated.

Gil

Once you feel you can handle his small subset (or if you would like further clarification on concepts in his book), there are many good books around, such as Tom Pender's "The UML Bible". :)

Also, is the web-based clearinghouse for all things OO.

Bob

Great Web reference! I'd not come accross it before. Bang go several evenings :-(

I would think 'The UML Bible' is better read AFTER you have attempted a project or two. It is solid and gives all the possible variations, including how to apply them through the meta systems, MOF etc. But you need to be able to see the wood for the trees.

The moment people feel that they want a better super set and feel that they know enough to know what extra features they want, then 'The UML Bible' is excellent.
Also, as tools start to move you from Version 1 UML to Version 2, it is excellent in giving you the differences.
Again, if you read other books and find their pragmatic but querky ideas confusing, it brings you down to earth and gives it to you straight.

Gil

A book that I would recommend for people new to OO is Matt Weisfeld's "Object Oriented Thought Process". I think he has some very good points to make.

Also it is easy to read, relatively short and relatively cheap.

Andrew

Hi Grooke and BobRodes,

My Apologies for delay in my response. I was on vacation.

Thanks a lot for your timely help.

Thanks & Regards,
Vasu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back