Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object not found -problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarla

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
FI
I have very strange problem:
One folder on my server contains one *.cfm -page. But when I try to access that page with my browser, I get "Http...Object not found" -error. When I re-name the file so that it ends with *.htm, it works fine. Strange thing is that when I move that *.cfm -document to another folder, it works fine. I have many different folders on my server with *.cfm -files and all of those files works fine. Only that one folder have troubles. What is wrong?

I think you typed a bad path for your cfm file. 'object not found' appears only when you type an invalid path of your page. if the same 'object not found' message appears when u call any cfm page, then the IP you type is invalid.

That's all i know for now, friend.
I hope that the other expert members like 'GunJack' will help you.

This sounds like a web server config issue and I'll assume that you have eliminated any possibility of a typo. The first question I would ask is what is the exact wording of the error message. Your post seems to indicate that it's a web server "404" error but I would want to eliminate the possibility of a similar sounding CF error. The next thing I would check is what happens if you rename the file ".abc". If renaming it to a ".htm" makes it work, then that rules out the possibillity of a virtual directory pointing to another directory and inidicates that the url you are using is actually pointing to the correct directory. I would want to see if the browser asks you to save the file named ".abc" instead of receiving a "not found" error. Also, can you post the url you're using to reference it such as ".com/myDir/myfile.cfm"?

Good luck,
GJ

The exact error -message is:

"Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information
An error has occurred.

HTTP/1.0 404 Object Not Found"

If I name the file so it ends like *.abc, browser opens it normally!

hey, do you include any file in your cfm page ? looks like it doesn't find the *included* file ...

Ok, try this. Create a new .cfm file in the directory named "test.cfm" and just put the text "Here" in the file. See if it gives you the same error with a completely new file with nothing but a single line in it.

GJ

Thanks so far, guys! I think that I´m going grazy with this problem. When I use Windows Explorer, browse to that folder, click the file so that I can choose "Open with" -option and choose Internet Explorer for opening program, the file opens normally. I see everything on it!! But when I´m trying to access it via web, I get that error... Oh, I need a doctor or something...

Yea, when you browser to it via Explorer, you're bypassing the webserver altogether so none of your cfm will get processed. You're just opening it up as text. Can you post the url you're using when you try to view it via the webserver and also let me know what happens with the "test" file above.

GJ

When this happens, try renaming the file to .htm or a .txt file and see if the browser can see it. If it cannot see the .htm then you must have a bad pathname assuming you do not have the webserver set to not-see this specific path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back