Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

object models for non-MS apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

philfer

Technical User
Jan 18, 2008
Does anyone know if there is anywhere where I can find a worked practical example that runs through the steps of :-

1) Identifying the object model for a non-MS app

2) Discovering the type libraries and tables for this app

3) Setting a reference for this app

4) Writing VBA code to manipulate it

There seems to be loads of stuff around about how to connect to MS-apps but none for non-MS apps which I think is the real challenge but very useful as more organisations are using in-house built systems (especially I have found for accountancy)

Ask the authors of the app.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

What I was asking for was whether there was a worked practical example anywhere on the web that I can follow and use to get it clear in my head.

I am unable to ask the authors of the app

Maybe you could share the name of the app? Someome might be doing it already!

Yes - I mean its going to be different for each "Non MS App"

VBA for Business Objects is going to be markedly different han VBA for AutoCAD for example

Generally, if a non MS app supports VBA, you should have a Visual Basic Environment IN that app. In the VBE, you should be able to press F2 to bring up the object browser...

In terms of writing VBA code to maniulate the app - again - going to be very different dependant on the app....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Look at the given list.

1) Identifying the object model for a non-MS app

2) Discovering the type libraries and tables for this app

3) Setting a reference for this app

4) Writing VBA code to manipulate it

This is ONLY going to work if the app is VBA-compliant, which you do NOT specify.

For example, Corel Paint is a "non-MS" app. However, it IS definitely VBA compliant. In MS-Word, for example, I can open up References, and scroll down to see Corel - Corel PHOTO-PAINT 13.0 Type Library, and Corel - Vector Graphics Core 13.0 Type Library.

If I add those references, and make a proper instance of the app, then...I can use VBA to do whatever it can do with whatever is in those libraries.

So, first thing, check to see if you have a reference for the app.

If you do NOT, then you have a problem. It brings it back to PHV comment. You may have to ask what the type libraries are from the author(s). It may be possible to register those libraries (assuming you actually have the files). Still, if those libraries are NOT VBA-compliant, then I do not see how you make them work within VBA.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back