Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OALP CUBE BEST PRACTICES

Status
Not open for further replies.

krshaikh

Programmer
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi,

I have to build an OLAP Cube using the Microsoft't RMS software's database. Its the first time I am working on Analysis Services. I am through with learning OLAP basics how to build one and all stuff. What I want to know is, how to analyze a database for this purpose ? What are the best practices ?

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Has anybody used a data grid in asp.net or vb.net to display multidimensional data ? Pivot table may not be the only best choice.

Regards

- KRSHAIKH -

Dimensional modeling is a good technique if your source database is a relational database (RDBMS). See faq353-5909 and/or faq353-5189

If your source database is a multidimensional database (MDBMS), your data is already optimized for OLAP activities.

The likelihood is that you are using Microsoft SQL Server, a RDBMS, as your source system for OLAP/Analysis Services.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

KRSHAIKH,

Project REAL has a good paper (under Technical Drilldown) with some good best practice guidelines.

SSAS is a great tool but there are many design issues to consider.

Let me know how you go.

the Microsoft BI/DW community

Thanks, I will get back to you as soon as I start working on it again. Considering the learning curve involved we had to abandon the project for some time.

Thanks again,

- krshaikh -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back